COOPERS HAWK attack. I'm devastated.

surfchicken72

Songster
9 Years
Jun 3, 2010
Holbrook, Massachusetts
Coopers HAwk killed one of my girls on Sunday..... RIR. 2 years old. I heard them all squawking frantically outside... and ran out. To my dismay there was a Coopers Hawk sitting on top of my girl. She was dead. feathers everywhere. He didn't get a taste as I missed the kill by seconds I'm assuming. but stayed perched in the tree eyeballing me as I removed my beloved RIR.
I've let them free range all day for 2 years now, but now live in terror. NOTE: my wife wanted chickens, NOT ME, but as with any pet you grow attached, and of course I have somehow become in charge of all their upkeep, from food to coop cleaning. :)
I don't blame the hawk, he's just being a hawk. but it is truly a horrifying experience even for me who did not want anything to do with chickens. Being winter I'm sure food is scarce for the hawks and the chickens an easy target I'm sure. I will have to be very cautious setting them loose, as I have no run for them. Poor girl. I can only blame myself I guess... and can't get the image out of my mind. Just needed to vent. :)

It happened to me a few months ago. A 10 week old pullet who thought I was her mother. I put her in a secure (?) pen, when I came back, the hawk took off and she had no head. I sat in the coop and cried buckets.

I hate to say this and wish it weren't true, but without accidents, you will never learn anything. Sad.
hugs.gif

the same thing happened to us last wednesday we have/had 4 Isa Browns 1yr old such sweet girls, I too heard some squaking a little after I let them out, I was able to save our Creamsicle but not 2 hrs later we heard the same squabling and our Henny was GONE. no where to be found, the **** hawk went under the bushes to get her. She was attacked a few days after xmas we were able to save her then but we think she lost vision in the eye that got scrapped. I think she tried to get away but could not do it in a good manner. so now our hens/roo are penned in a smaller run with a makeshift roof made of burlap. so now they cant be seen. This is only until we build them their new coop/shed and covered run this spring. I now how you feel it is sad, and I too got roped into the chickens by my hubby, and now I am primary caregiver lol.

Sorry for your loss. In AZ hawks are an issue as well. Had one circling high over my run today. They have a good amount of room to roam in the run, but it's just too risky to let them out.

I know exactly how you feel, I am sorry for your loss. I have lost 2 this week! They have free ranged for 1 year and no problem. Now they are in a hastily built pen until I can build something better when the weather gets better. Of course they are miserable and want out, they don't understand. I found the hawk on mine too. It is horrible to go through and I can't stop blaming myself, we think we should always be able to protect them. I am thinking of getting a great pyrenees or mastiff, does anyone have a farm dog, and if so, does this really help with hawks? I read that the hawk will move on after 3 weeks or so, but this one has been here for about 2 weeks now, I've seen it in nearby trees. I don't know what else to do!

I read yesterday no one had to fear a hawk cuz the largest prey they take is a small rodent. My eyes about popped out when I read that. It was in our 'lack of news 'paper rag.

I never understood why cooper hawks never got my chickens because I would see the little buggers flying around and then I saw an interesting thing happen. I was painting the fence in November and heard a chicken scream and then come running. The entire flock was up in arms. I figured the bob cat was back but did not see anything. I dismissed it and went back to painting. A couple minutes later, I heard my rooster do is rooster growl and run full speed across the yard and they body slam one of my girls - then all of a sudden a copper hawks flew up our of the dog pile. Wow.... It was then that I realized my rooster had been protecting my girls against the hawk. ... talk about bowling for buzzards....

Are you allowed Roosters? If so, perhaps try that. My Welsummers are my most attentive and protective roosters -- oh and they are very gentle with people.

Your gonna need a run that's for sure! This year has been the year of the hawks.I only let mine out when I'm out there with them. I feel there's not much for them to forage on anyway so why take a chance. I have a fall garden so I can provide them with greens. So now I just let them out for some much needed exercise.

Back
Top Bottom