GlicksChicks

Songster
Apr 11, 2024
Hello to everyone who is reading this, I hope you are having a great day!

For over a month now I have had a broody hen, a BCM named Copper. She has been really devoted to laying on her eggs, but my hens all fight over one nesting box even though they have 3 identical ones, so she lets them lay eggs in her box. Unfortunately, her letting them do that caused the 4 eggs she was laying on to not make it. Some were broken and some did not make it to hatching.

Seeing her wanting to be a mother so bad and knowing that she wouldn't made me sad. Wednesday, April 24th, 2024 was the date her eggs were supposed to hatch. To our luck, that was the exact day TSC got a new shipment of chicks! As soon as I was able, I went and got her 4 chicks. 2 Lavender Wyandottes and 2 White Sport Legbars.

This thread is the story of my first mother hen, Copper, and her first time raising chicks.

I hope that you stick along and join me in watching the chicks grow and watch Copper learn how to be a mother.

The picture attached was the chicks under Copper about an hour after I put them under her.

Attachments

• 20240424_195627.jpg
    20240424_195627.jpg
    680.4 KB · Views: 45
Thursday April 25th, 2024 Morning Update:

I went out to my coop early in the morning to check on Copper and her chicks. I still had her in her normal nesting nox at the time since I added the chicks in at night, so there shouldn't have been interference.

I was relieved to go into the coop and see chicks peeking out from under Mama. The other two were still asleep under her.

I decided to move her to a caged in area of the coop so she could raise her chicks safely. Thankfully, she did not fight, but she was not happy being seperated from her chicks even if it was for a short time.

Two chicks almost immediately ran back under Copper and two decided to stay out to eat, drink, and explore.

So far, so good! It seems we have two that cling to their mother and 2 that want to study everything!

Thank you for reading this update! If you have any suggestions about how to help a mother hen raise her chicks, I am open to hearing them!

Attachments

• 20240425_064144.jpg
    20240425_064144.jpg
    717.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240425_070403.jpg
    20240425_070403.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 13
You will get many different opinions, what works for 1 person may not work for another. I have a broody hatching eggs as we speak, I have fencing around her nest so she isn't bothered during her hatch, but after they have hatched, I will remove the fencing and let momma do her thing. She will show them the ins and outs of chickening. Just be sure there are chick safe waterers for them to access and food, she'll do the rest.

You will get many different opinions, what works for 1 person may not work for another. I have a broody hatching eggs as we speak, I have fencing around her nest so she isn't bothered during her hatch, but after they have hatched, I will remove the fencing and let momma do her thing. She will show them the ins and outs of chickening. Just be sure there are chick safe waterers for them to access and food, she'll do the rest.
Have you had broody mamas before? Did this work for you?

Many, lol...last year one of my English Orps hatched 4 clutches total. I don't do anything special, the broody mama knows what she's doing.
Oh wow! I am being very careful with this hen since she is a first time mother and they are the first chicks that small in that coop, so I want to be very careful. Maybe as we get more broodies I will be less protective and let her do her thing.

Oh wow! I am being very careful with this hen since she is a first time mother and they are the first chicks that small in that coop, so I want to be very careful. Maybe as we get more broodies I will be less protective and let her do her thing.
You do what makes you feel comfortable:)

Back
Top Bottom