Corid Oral Drench Instructions

And @casportpony Kathy, thanks for all your help with the dosages! So do you think 3/4 teaspoon per gallon is good enough in this situation? I still have no idea of its potency, just following dosage instructions on the container.
While Twin Cities offers some good products, they are really bad about including proper dosing instructions and in some cases don't even list the active ingredients of percentage of active ingredients. :(

The instructions on my Sulfasol bag say to make it @ 0.05%, for chickens, which is 1892.5 mg per gallon. The instructions on my bag also say one bag will make 50 gallons, which means to use 2.14 grams per gallon. I haven't opened my bag, so I can't weigh it.

https://www.drugs.com/vet/sulfasol.html

While Twin Cities offers some good products, they are really bad about including proper dosing instructions and in some cases don't even list the active ingredients of percentage of active ingredients. :(

The instructions on my Sulfasol bag say to make it @ 0.05%, for chickens, which is 1892.5 mg per gallon. The instructions on my bag also say one bag will make 50 gallons, which means to use 2.14 grams per gallon. I haven't opened my bag, so I can't weigh it.

https://www.drugs.com/vet/sulfasol.html

Thanks a bunch Kathy! :) I'm going to follow the instructions on the package, I am going to assume its accurate and proper.

Thanks a bunch Kathy! :) I'm going to follow the instructions on the package, I am going to assume its accurate and proper.
I searched high and low. Lots of brands of of Sulfamethoxine, and all are 880 mg/gram, so I bet that's what he is selling.

When treating a bird for coccidiosis one can give an oral drench in addition to their medicated water. Here are the instructions:

Corid 9.6% liquid - Do not dilute
  • Give 0.1 ml per pound of body weight orally once a day for 1-3 days

This message thread has been a fantastic learning experience. Question on the length of time for the liquid corid dosage.

I have a bird that is responding well to the treatment. I'm on Day 3 and she's looking up but certainly not at 100%

Is there harm in continuing the liquid corid for a 5 day or 7 day run?

Thanks!

This message thread has been a fantastic learning experience. Question on the length of time for the liquid corid dosage.

I have a bird that is responding well to the treatment. I'm on Day 3 and she's looking up but certainly not at 100%

Is there harm in continuing the liquid corid for a 5 day or 7 day run?

Thanks!
Glad your bird is responding! You can use your standard medicated water Corid at the recommended dosage up to 10 days. If you are battling a constant outbreak that frequently comes back , you can continue past day 10 at half strength or take a break at day 10 and resume a couple weeks later. Generally 7 to 10 days does the trick on most cases. Its advised to use probiotics after this treatment to replace the digestive bacteria and yeasts in the digestive tract.

Last edited:
Glad your bird is responding! You can use your standard medicated water Corid at the recommended dosage up to 10 days. If you are battling a constant outbreak that frequently comes back , you can continue past day 10 at half strength or take a break at day 10 and resume a couple weeks later. Generally 7 to 10 days does the trick on most cases. Its advised to use probiotics after this treatment to replace the digestive bacteria and yeasts in the digestive tract.

Thank you! But your response makes me realize I was not specific enough in my original question so I'm posing it again with more detail: our 5 month old EE, Peg, has been responding well to the liquid Corid drench protocol in the OP by @casportpony. We've given her the recommended .2ml 2x/day dosage (she's 2 lbs) for 3 days + 1 additional this morning while hoping/waiting for further guidance from this thread. Additionally, all of our chickens are drinking from waterers with 2tsp powdered Corid per gallon and they're all still eating medicated grower feed.
Peg has put on .02 lbs of weight since we started dosing and her energy level has increased, but she's still at only 75% or so, improving but definitely not fully well. We lost 2 other EEs about 2 months ago from what we suspect was coccidiosis; at the time we weren't aware of the liquid drench treatment and the treated water just wasn't enough to save them. (We live in Central TX where it's been an incredibly rainy, hot, and humid spring & summer.)
Can we continue the full strength, liquid Corid dosage for a few more days? Take a break and then re-dose if still not at 100%? Is there an add'l OTC med we could get, like sulfadimethoxine, and combine treatments? We're planning to follow what you've said re: the powdered Corid in water.
Peg is my partner's pet and she'd be devastated to lose her so we're on board with pulling out all the stops.

Last edited:
Thank you! But your response makes me realize I was not specific enough in my original question so I'm posing it again with more detail: our 5 month old EE, Peg, has been responding well to the liquid Corid drench protocol in the OP by @casportpony. We've given her the recommended .2ml/lb body weight 2x/day dosage for 3 days + 1 additional this morning while hoping/waiting for further guidance from this thread. Additionally, all of our chickens are drinking from waterers with 2tsp powdered Corid per gallon and they're all still eating medicated grower feed.
Peg has put on .02 lbs of weight since we started dosing and her energy level has increased, but she's still at only 75% or so, improving but definitely not fully well. We lost 2 other EEs about 2 months ago from what we suspect was coccidiosis; at the time we weren't aware of the liquid drench treatment and the treated water just wasn't enough to save them. (We live in Central TX where it's been an incredibly rainy, hot, and humid spring & summer.)
Can we continue the full strength, liquid Corid dosage for a few more days? Take a break and then re-dose if still not at 100%? Is there an add'l OTC med we could get, like sulfadimethoxine, and combine treatments? We're planning to follow what you've said re: the powdered Corid in water.
Peg is my partner's pet and she'd be devastated to lose her so we're on board with pulling out all the stops.
I am not sure how long you can use the drench, generally it used like a booster for a few days just to get them started. Cathy knows more about this than I do, let me tag her again and see what she says. Sorry you are having troubles! :hugs

@casportpony

Last edited:
I am not sure how long you can use the drench, generally it used like a booster for a few days just to get them started. Cathy knows more about this than I do, let me tag her again and see what she says. Sorry you are having troubles! :hugs

@casportpony

Thanks. I also edited to read correctly that we're giving Peg .02ml because she weighs 2 lbs--we are NOT giving .02ml/lb as I'd originally stated.

Back
Top Bottom