Corid powder for chickens.

Rwilson49

Chirping
Oct 31, 2023
One of my silkies has worms and vet gave me an oral medication.Not sure how much she got, it’s was a tiny amount and not easy getting it in her. It’s cocsidia and not sure if other are infected and would like to treat their water as a precaution. The wyandottes are 3 months old and the silkies are 6 months old. . How much do I use to make up a gallon for them.

Worms are worms, but coccidiosis is a parasite in the soil and passed in droppings. They are 2 different things and treated with either a wormer for the worms, or Corid for the coccidiosis. Did the vet give a wormer? Can you find out the name of it? Wormers should be given in a second dose to get the worm eggs after they hatch. Do your pullets have both worms and coccidiosis? If treating for coccidiosis, use Corid 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water for 5 days.

One of my silkies has worms and vet gave me an oral medication.Not sure how much she got, it’s was a tiny amount and not easy getting it in her. It’s cocsidia and not sure if other are infected and would like to treat their water as a precaution. The wyandottes are 3 months old and the silkies are 6 months old. . How much do I use to make up a gallon for them.

I am not understanding why you'd use this for worms as it's for coccidiosis which is an infection. But here is the Corid dosage for if you would need it.

Corid dosage chart.jpg

Worms are worms, but coccidiosis is a parasite in the soil and passed in droppings. They are 2 different things and treated with either a wormer for the worms, or Corid for the coccidiosis. Did the vet give a wormer? Can you find out the name of it? Wormers should be given in a second dose to get the worm eggs after they hatch. Do your pullets have both worms and coccidiosis? If treating for coccidiosis, use Corid 2 tsp of the liquid per gallon of water for 5 days.
She gave me two doses of toltrazuril.

Last edited:
Did the vet give you instructions on how to use it? Toltrazuril treats coccidiosis, but not worms. If you can post a picture of what the drug looks like with dosage we may be able to help.In the meantime, this is a good thread about dosage and how to give it, some saying it needs to be given orally, not in water:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dosage-for-toltrazuril-for-cocci.1427657/page-2
She gave to two syringes with a dosage for now and two week. I did call back to confirm what she’s has and it is coccidiosis. The doses are very small. I scrambled an egg and placed it on a bite of the egg and she ate it out of my hand. There would have been no way she’d let me put it in her beak

To get a chicken to take a dose of medicine, you can hold them in your arm and pull down on the wattles, put the medicine into the beak, and release the wattles to swallow. As long as she is taking all of the egg medicine, that is fine. Use the medication as your vet has ordered it. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom