Corn and Soy free......?

True, however, GMO crops increase exponentially the amount of glyphosate applied, since the crops are resistant they apply more than they otherwise would. Additionally, this has caused resistance in weeds such that even more glyphosate must be applied to combat them, and now some are totally resistant. Which is why, if you google it, you'll see the USDA is about to fast track a new gmo soy, resistant to 2,4-D. It is a vicious cycle.
Good point... It is perfectly clear, evolution always wins... A vicious cycle, one is better off to work with instead of against....
big_smile.png

Read the reuters article you linked, then read what you posted..." Most feed corn is from south america. FYI according to my feed supplier."

The reuters article does not say that at all..
wink.png

Yes, a wake up call, that like with most everything, some other country can do it cheaper. Same goes for corn.. Heck we already subsidize US corn producers way to much...

We are not going to win the race to the bottom for the cheapest goods.... This is why some of us have left that game, and are interested in higher quality instead of cheap quantity.
I read that... another site I went to said we import about 200 million tons of corn also... which seems crazy.

My feed guy may have meant here on the west coast which is nowhere near what they use in the midwest. I will ask him where he heard that at because I am reading mixed reports.

Japan seems to get our best corn.

I read that... another site I went to said we import about 200 million tons of corn also... which seems crazy.

My feed guy may have meant here on the west coast which is nowhere near what they use in the midwest. I will ask him where he heard that at because I am reading mixed reports.

Japan seems to get our best corn.

You are off by a magnitude of a thousand, we actually only import about 200 THOUSAND metric tons of corn a year.

In a typical year we will produce about 12 BILLION bushels of corn, or 305 MILLION metric tons.

So we import about .066% of what we produce.

Last edited:
You are off by a magnitude of a thousand, we actually only import about 200 THOUSAND metric tons of corn a year.

In a typical year we will produce about 12 million bushels of corn, or 305 MILLION metric tons.

So we import about .066% of what we produce.
That is probably for political reason.

I am a little concerned that the beef producers are selling about half thier stock due to the drought and coupled with 400 a ton feed costs. I think this year we may be importing more grain or already are.

Either way the cost will go up at the feed store.

I am seeing more corn planted this year in my area.

Ethanol is expected to use 60% of our corn produced next year. It is currently using about 40 % and apparently it is still a viable source for feed conversion to pelleted feeds.

FYI - my horses LOVE to eat raw chicken eggs. They have eaten them several times right out of the nests, shell and all. Do I purposely feed raw eggs to my horses? Heck NO! But they HAVE taken advantage of the opportunity when it's presented itself. I also had a mare eat a mouthful of horseshoe nails. (She was FINE, despite me having a heart failure.) I had a horse that loved hamburgers. The more pickles, mustard, and ketchup, the more she liked it! Is peppermint candy or carrots a natural food for a horse? NO. But people feed carrots and think it's a natural, healthy food. Heck, many horses have to be taught to eat apples as well. Alfalfa, beet pulp, oats, none of these are natural foods for a horse. Miscellaneous sticks, twigs, flowers, seed pods, prairie grass, roots, and even tree bark are natural foods for horses. Also, the average life span of a wild (correct term: feral) horse is about 10 years. Our domesticated pet horses live in excess of 20 to 30 years.

So do NOT kid yourself into thinking you are feeding your horse a "natural diet." You aren't.

Same arguments go for feeding a dog raw or BARF diets. The diet of a wild dog or dingo is carion derived mostly of small animals like rabbits and birds, or perhaps deer/antelope, et al, carcasses. Wild dogs eat bugs, trash discarded by humans, and and small amphibians. So feeding a horse a chunk of beef or a raw chicken breast is NOT natural. Not even remotely CLOSE to being natural! In fact, I have read studies indicating that a dog's digestive tract is not terribly effective at digesting beef or chicken protein. They are actually much more able to process duck or fish protein. And again, the lifespan of a wild dog is not typically 15 years or more. Lifespan is more like 2-6 years, max.

So all this "natural" bazooo is just that - bazooo as far as I'm concerned.

If given a chance, my dogs will lick up every last nugget of corn based chicken feed they can find! Dogs are opportunistic feeders that will eat everything they can get their teeth on.

My dogs eat Taste of the Wild, 6 star grain feed food, and I also cook nutritious meals for them made with human grade meats and cooked vegetables. But I don't think for one minute that this is a "natural" diet for them.

As for corn and soy for chickens, I don't buy soy so I don't know about that. Mine eat cracked corn as part of their "grain" mix (layer pellets, cracked corn, black oil sunflower). They get all sorts of fruits and vegetables and a little bread and oatmeal, yogurt, etc...

The natural diet for a chicken is grasses, bugs, worms, flowers, fruits or vegetables they might find, and even meat such as mice, small snakes, and each other if given half a chance!

Last edited:
That is probably for political reason.

I am a little concerned that the beef producers are selling about half thier stock due to the drought and coupled with 400 a ton feed costs. I think this year we may be importing more grain or already are.

Either way the cost will go up at the feed store.

I am seeing more corn planted this year in my area.

Ethanol is expected to use 60% of our corn produced next year. It is currently using about 40 % and apparently it is still a viable source for feed conversion to pelleted feeds.
It is partly political due to tariffs and trade agreement but most due to the fact that the American Farmer is very efficient at producing corn which lowers the price. Couple that with the cost to transport grain across the ocean and we can produce corn and soybeans more inexpensively than we can purchase it from our international trade partners.

Soy is a phytoestrogen and believe it or not EVERYONE, even men have estrogen dominance for many enviromental and dietary reasons. People are also so over exposed to soy and corn (they are both in almost every processed food) that most people do have allergic issues that they think are just some random symptom of something else. Corn is also one of the most hybrid (genetically altered) foods on earth and also one of the most fungal foods- they run a close race with peanuts.

Back
Top Bottom