Corn and Soy free......?

Soy in our diets is fairly recent. Prior to processed foods, we really didn't eat it. In Japan and China, they found a way to ferment it to produce something edible (tofu) that didn't raise havoc with the digestive system. In today's highly processed food marketplace, soy (and corn) is added to almost everything. According to Michael Pollan (In Defense of Food), Corn and soy products are found in about 70% of the foods carried in the typical grocery store. I think it's a safe bet to say that the rise in food allergies, especially corn and soy, is directly related to the increase in the consumption of these foods in the modern American diet.

One small correction... TOFU IS NOT FERMENTED... MISO IS FERMENTED.

You're right...oriental countries ferment the soy they ate and even then only ate it in very small quantities like a condiment rather than a main food source.

One of the things that soy is causing (due to it's prevalence in our diet) is a HUGE INCREASE IN THYROID ISSUES. If you do any research, you will find that soy consumption is directly related to thyroid problems. Thyroid was very seldom an issue prior to the acceptance of soy as a basic staple in the American diet. Even soy oil has this effect - and you find it in almost every processed food and often hidden by calling it "vegetable oil".

If you do much research, you'll find the the main use for soy in earlier days was to grow it as a cover crop to be tilled in as a natural fertilizer, after which FOOD CROPS were then grown in that soil. The anti-nutrient level in soy is so great as to cause nutritional deficiencies in people and animals that consume it directly as part of the diet, but it works great as a fertilizer - and the plants grown on those fields are able to uptake the nutrients and use them.

Very frustrating that the desire to make money on waste products has been so cleverly marketed that we all believed it was the healthy thing to eat.

Last edited:
Quote:
I stand corrected. Thank you for setting me straight. And, thank you, too, for expanding on what I said. I think you made the point perfectly.

Last edited:
Some types of tofu are fermented-- they can also be called "tofu cheese" .. however, Leah's Mom is very valid in saying that tofu is not fermented, because the tofu we find in commercial groceries is not! To my knowledge, no company has ever commercially produced fermented tofu.
I'm agree with the important note that soy was fermented in various ways by Asian cultures before consumption, and then only in small quantities. Certainly not in every food item.

Tempeh is fermented, though, and may be healthy on occasion.
Here's a list of some fermented soy products. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=newtip&dbid=36

I am feeding corn and soy free chicken feed, but I realized that as educated as I am about dog and cat nutrition...I know little about chicken and turkey nutrition. So my question is, are people wanting to avoid soy and corn in chicken feed for nutritional reasons? or does it have more to do with political/economic reasons?
Hi Deanna,

Just found this thread and was wondering what feed you give to your chickens? I have to avoid soy for many reasons, the biggest is a medical one, so I would love to start my 11 week old soy free feed. I want to order Countryside organics, but almost fell off my chair when I saw what shipping it to upstate NY would cost. I am trying to get someone interested around me to order a pallet to offset shipping costs, but so far, people think I'm a bit loopy.

Any help out there with suggesting some brands?

Thanks,
MB

I faced the same dilemma until I contacted Countryside and asked for the names of some local distributors. They were very helpful.

If you google you will find several produces...all quite salty. When I was googling, I happily found a relatively local feed mill that will make feed to order with organic ingredients, Fertrel Nutri-balancer, etc. I told them what I was looking for and they formulated with the protein/calcium level appropriately. Only problem was that I needed to order a minimum of 300 lbs!!!!!! I found someone to share with me and we were off and running. I also purchase bags of whole organic grains from them as well and do some sprouting as well.

So....You might try checking local feed mills!

I faced the same dilemma until I contacted Countryside and asked for the names of some local distributors. They were very helpful.
I haven't called them yet, only did the search from my zip code on their website. Results said basically I was _hit out of luck!

I am trying to get together enough people to buy a pallet. I have the room to store it and would be willing to do a few pick up dates at the local Home Depot or something like that.

Any New Yorkers interested?

MB

Quote:
I live at The End of NoWhere, so that's what the locator told me. But, when I emailed them, they told me of some small distributors that weren't on the web list. One was a local heritage farm that buys it for their chickens and is willing to sell off some ... at a price. I've been buying from them, but found another, cheaper, source who sells it at cost ... a local co-op that I believe is affiliated somehow with the other location they gave me. This souce will save me $10 per 50# bag. So, be sure you contact them directly.

Back
Top Bottom