Cornish Thread

Pics
you remember the story quite well- I had wondered if you had forgot.

My goal is still to make BLR birds- I think that color is awesome...

The DC will get bred back to his daughters to improve type, and the BLR male will also get bred to some DC daughters I hatched from DC this year to help and try to get BLR birds.

I hatched one BLR, but I lost it this spring- dumb luck.

Ole limpy will get my original hens-- just for giggles and something to do.

I've also like to get those dtrs of the BLR male-- and put them back to him-- and hopefully get some recessive whites.... That's pretty much the reason I'm keeping the other project male.

I got a solid white chick from a blue silkie egg hatcher and the BLR project bird this summer... that makes me think he carries white.. It was a neat experiement.

Yes, my home club. Pacific Poultry Breeders Assn. in Stockton CA. Gary Agaginian will probaly have lots of LF Cornish. WLR and Whites.

Walt
Walt it sounds like it will be a great show out there Chris has convinced us to come out, so we are going to bring a few birds weather permitting. It will be fun for us to get out that way as it sounds like there will be quite a few Cornish wich is a little different than the shows around here. But the best part will be to meet more breeders face to face.

Walt it sounds like it will be a great show out there Chris has convinced us to come out, so we are going to bring a few birds weather permitting. It will be fun for us to get out that way as it sounds like there will be quite a few Cornish wich is a little different than the shows around here. But the best part will be to meet more breeders face to face.

I think they had 100 Cornish bantams last year and this is going to be a much bigger show. It will be nice to meet you. I'm usually in charge of the building where they coop the Cornish, so I will be in their a lot.

Walt

let me work on it... I think I have some at home on a flash drive, if not I can take another...

I'll have to take some pics of the DC dtrs-- they are quite a bit heavier and chubbier than the WLR dtrs. My two oldest pullets, I believe have started laying. Not sure really, have all the Cornish females in one pen as I'm done hatching eggs atleast for another month or two. Getting ready to move again and don't want the hassle. But I've been getting some smaller, different shaped eggs here lately...

I've started the second go-round of hatching Cornish this year. The WC is over the three oldest DCs I have left. Adding no water for either incubation or hatching, 7 of 8 eggs hatched last night; 4 blacks and 3 near-whites. The big, crow-headed pullet is now in that pen also, though too young to lay. At around 5 months old she is now the same size as the 15 month old hens in that pen, so she is either going to be a faster grower than Cornish usually are, or have better size than my others.

Thought I would post pictures of my Cornish for critique. I probably have a few years before I start to show my Cornish. Regardless, I am of the THICK SKIN type so be happy to hear from the group, in particular the JUDGES. Walt, your critique would be greatly appreciate, on this thread or via PM, makes no differense to me.

I lost my original BDC cock to Histomanosis aka "Wasting". The one on the stump is a "loaner" and full brother of the one I lost. I passed on him originally and as fate would have it, he found his way onto my yard...lol. Honestly just thankful to have him at this point.

Enjoy or not....lol.
smile.png

Thought I would post pictures of my Cornish for critique. I probably have a few years before I start to show my Cornish. Regardless, I am of the THICK SKIN type so be happy to hear from the group, in particular the JUDGES. Walt, your critique would be greatly appreciate, on this thread or via PM, makes no differense to me.

I lost my original BDC cock to Histomanosis aka "Wasting". The one on the stump is a "loaner" and full brother of the one I lost. I passed on him originally and as fate would have it, he found his way onto my yard...lol. Honestly just thankful to have him at this point.

Enjoy or not....lol.
smile.png

How old are they? I like the first group of darks. The white has a nice head, but looks very shallow in the pictures as do the two darks after the whites.

Walt

Walt,

The darks and the white are a little over a year old. I know what you mean about the White being shallow and I feel the same way. (I only picked her up because of her head shape and width. Honestly, I am not sure I want to raise Whites.)

My dark hens seemed to have gone that direction (shallower) too. I only have the two dark hens. The latter pictures, of the dark hen, are of the same hen. The other one, did not want to pose on the stump for me. Of course, she would be the better of the two, but not by much!
smile.png

Walt - how much is genetic versus feed? I ask because I am not free feeding them as the breeder did. Plus, I have them on a strict and measured 75% grain, 25% pellet diet like the rest of my Orientals. I feed my Orientals, this time of year, 4oz of food per 5lbs of bird. My Ko get 1/4 cup each of mix a day. The Cornish get 1/3 cup each per day.

Thanks for the feedback

Back
Top Bottom