Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I too am going to have to build some breed specific pens. And a bachelor pad.
Getting an incubator was the beginning of my downfall I think!

For 15 years I've gotten by with communal living on the farm and only penning off space for a broody mom and the babies. Or for safely growing chicks up until they were big enough to fend for themselves around the barnyard. But now?? Oh yeah, that's all going to have to change thanks to the incubator and the ability to order any egg types I want. And no longer having to rely on hatcheries having the chicks I want when I want them.
Yep, thanks incubator!😜

IMG_20200715_110749.jpg

Until five years ago I had two breeding groups, and it was easy. Then those bantam EEs arrived, and it turned into three breeding groups, which is a royal pain here, but I couldn't resist!
Mary
I really only have two groups - my Nankins, with a few standard hens mixed in, and my bachelors. I don't count the three large rabbit hutches that occasionally house breeding pairs, broodies or not-quite-ready-for-the-coop chicks. The mini EEs will be in one of the hutches for a bit, then the hens will go in with the Nannies while the cockerels will go in with "The Boys."
With only the one egg-laying coop (The Boys aren't very productive in that particular department,) I need to be able to tell at a glance which eggs are from the Nankins and which ones are from another breed. That's why all my non-Nanny hens are either large fowl (BJG, NHR & a Silkie/NHR cross) or lay a brownish egg (GemZilla, my buff bantam Cochin broody-monster.) That's why I want the EE's - aside from the fact that they're cute as the dickens, no one's going to mistake a blue egg for a Nankin egg. You watch, now. I'll probably have the only EE bantams in the world that lay tiny, round, pinky-beige eggs. It's the way my luck is running, this year!

I wish I had the set up, or the oomph needed to make an extra set up, for some bantams, tophats, and smaller breeds that I could enjoy just for fun.
Y'know, Seramas and quail are small enough to live in a rabbit hutch or a guinea pig cage. Everybody's got room for a guinea pig ... just sayin'!! :duc

I wonder how many of those people that recovered had to declare medical bankruptcy. TBH that’s my biggest fear. I’ve seen bits and pieces mentioned but not a good analysis.
Oh and I wasn’t criticizing your post! Lol. Just things I wonder about while the news just yammers on...

Back
Top Bottom