Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Isn't that a common practice in New Orleans ?
Used to be. I knew a fellow from Central America who had a "Candle and Apothecary" shop in New Orleans. It was a combination of Hoodoo, (Haitian- West African), Central American (Catholic, Native, West African and Spanish) and local (Catholic, West African, Cajun, and Native) Were quite a mix down here. His shop sold raw material: Herbs, oils. Potions, sprays and statues of Saints, (not all recognized by the Church!)
The "Healing and Medicine" he sold was not "Voodoo" at least according to him but I'm not sure many could see a difference. The beliefs were a mixture of all of these culture's beliefs and customs.
I met him researching the History of Medicine for the Nat. Park Service, mostly in New Orleans about 1800. I also found it useful to know about the 'folk medicine' as much of my Nursing has been in the Public Hospitals here. I have been able to identify poultices & cupping scars when no one else could. DW and I were the only ones experienced in using Leeches when it came back into fashion about 20 years ago.
If you dig a little you find the belief in voodoo to some degree just below the surface in almost all of New Orleans society. Traiteurs are still used in rural, Cajun communities, but that's a story for another day.

Last edited:
Used to be. I knew a fellow from Central America who had a "Candle and Apothecary" shop in New Orleans. It was a combination of Hoodoo, (Haitian- West African), Central American (Catholic, Native, West African and Spanish) and local (Catholic, West African, Cajun, and Native) Were quite a mix down here. His shop sold raw material: Herbs, oils.
Potions, sprays and statues of Saints, (not all recognized by the Church!)
The "Healing and Medicine" he sold was not "Voodoo" at least according to him but I'm not sure many could see a difference. The beliefs were a mixture of all of these culture's beliefs and customs.
I met him researching the History of Medicine for the Nat. Park Service, mostly in New Orleans about 1800. I also found it useful to know about the 'folk medicine' as much of my Nursing has been in the Public Hospitals here. I have been able to identify poultices & cupping scars when no one else could. DW and I were the only ones experienced in using Leeches when it came back into fashion about 20 years ago.
If you dig a little you find the belief in voodoo to some degree just below the surface in almost all of New Orleans society. Traiteurs are still used in rural, Cajun communities, but that's a story for another day.
I remember seeing an episode of Larry the Cable Guy and he met a voodoo shaman. They talked about spirit animals and the general practice of the art. Pretty much my only knowledge of "voodoo". When you come right down to it medicine is medicine whether in pill form or poultice. In fact a lot of our modern day medicines come from the amazon rainforest. Just walk down the vitamin aisle and you'll find garlic, echinecia(sp?), ginkgo boloba, beets, tea tree, etc.

Edit:. Just noticed it linked to Amazon marketplace automatically. I'm referring to the forest in south america :gig

Last edited:
I remember seeing an episode of Larry the Cable Guy and he met a voodoo shaman. They talked about spirit animals and the general practice of the art. Pretty much my only knowledge of "voodoo". When you come right down to it medicine is medicine whether in pill form or poultice. In fact a lot of our modern day medicines come from the Amazon forest. Just walk down the vitamin aisle and you'll find garlic, echinecia(sp?), ginkgo boloba, beets, tea tree, etc.
A lot of voodoo type 'medicine' is also based on manipulation and 'magical thinking'.
I have actually known a few "Voodoo priestess". They put on a good show for the tourist.
In the past there were always spells and cures for what ails you, but they only worked when you 'truly believed' they would. Also, a spell against you only worked if you believed it would. (Unless it was one of those, venomous snakeheads, dried, crushed and the powder blown into the eyes causes you guessed it, blindness.)

A lot of voodoo type 'medicine' is also based on manipulation and 'magical thinking'.
I have actually known a few "Voodoo priestess". They put on a good show for the tourist.
In the past there were always spells and cures for what ails you, but they only worked when you 'truly believed' they would. Also, a spell against you only worked if you believed it would. (Unless it was one of those, venomous snakeheads, dried, crushed and the powder blown into the eyes causes you guessed it, blindness.)
To that same idea: a placebo. It works because you think it does. Granted I don't believe in voodoo. But I do believe in herbalism. Many issues I've had throughout my life we're simply cause by a deficiency in vitamins. Balance that out with a good diet and it's not necessary. I've made it a point to try to eat more fish for the omega 3s and more tree nuts (I really hate nuts!). I've been trying to eat at least 6 almonds daily even though I hate them but eating "the rainbow" and not just big Macs is important for your health.

I've had herbs do wonders for me. I use peppermint to ease panic by breathing in the strong scent. Lavender for calm...also aids sleep. And CBD for general anxiety. I've found if it takes the CBD before getting in the car I don't have to practice my breathing the whole time. A little tincture of peppermint on my wrist also helps to calm me down. I've been given pills that have only made things worse and I've only found herbs to help.

Back
Top Bottom