Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

Thanks for the healthy vote of confidence. I'm in no hurry to add any more "fur kids" to the household any time soon. We still have 5 and as many actual kiddos around too.... Then there is that "chicken math" to contend with.....
Ah, yes, chicken math... I started with six chickens three years ago, and now I have twenty! Plus three guineas!
Help me!

Ah, yes, chicken math... I started with six chickens three years ago, and now I have twenty! Plus three guineas!
Help me!
I grew up with hen houses holding hundreds of chickens as well as hogs, cattle, horses and pheasant. As an adult I worked with chickens but after a long hiatus I started again. Initially for the manure. The stable near me where I got free manure for my garden closed and I panicked. So I decided to get chickens because I could get manure, oh and eggs. I went to get 6 and came home with 10. I built coops, pens, tractors, etc.. I figured with all that infrastructure, I should get some for meat. I ordered a 50 bird assortment (ended up being 17 breeds). But I was told I was last on the list so I might not get any. Again I panicked and immediately ordered 25 Freedom Rangers. The next week, 26 Freedom Rangers came and a couple days later I got a call saying my assortment order was coming with 53 chicks.
So in 3 months I went from 0 to 10 to 36 to 89. That's chicken math.

I'm sure she's fine.

I am concerned as to the status of "Webby" thought.... She's been MIA for -(pauses)- geez, 2 months now?
Hmmm ... you're right. I wonder if there's a way admin can check on her ... or maybe we just put out an across-the-board APB to see if anyone knows.

I suggest most of you people get back to livin'.
Curious. Do you understand what a global pandemic is?
It is a deadly pervasive disease that is prevalent over a whole country or the world. This one is prevalent over the entire world, far worse than any in the last century and we are only in the third inning of a nine inning game. We may end up in extra innings. That means we still have a couple years to go.
Since nothing like this has happened in your lifetime, you are forgiven for not understanding.

You must live somewhere with minimal outbreaks. Apparently you don't know anyone who has died or is intubated.

Last edited:
Oh dear heavens ... I know better than to go chick-browsing when I'm depressed. I've wanted bantam EE's forever, but whenever I have room, there aren't any available ... and when they ARE available, I'm generally strong enough to resist.
Meyer has been out of them for ages ... with no more in sight since April. I just "happened" to be on, last night and there were 6 available for next week. They were NOT there, last week. Guess what's coming to my house? I just hope they survive the heat!
Now ... how to explain this to the Chicken Police ... my children ... :oops:

Mine are from Cackle, and they have been wonderful! You got those because I resisted yesterday, after getting five cockerels and only one pullet in April. Only three adults still here, and needed more, and wish I'd ordered more then!
Post pictures!!!
Mary
WONDERFUL! Now I can tell DKs (Dear Kids!) that it's all YOUR fault! I'm in the clear! :lol:
I'd better NOT have 5-to-1 boys ... there's not that much space left in my bachelor flock! As it is, it's a good thing I have someone interested in the Nankin pair currently residing in my little brooder ... 'cuz the new babies are gonna need to be inside where I can spoil 'em, for a while!

WONDERFUL! Now I can tell DKs (Dear Kids!) that it's all YOUR fault! I'm in the clear! :lol:
I'd better NOT have 5-to-1 boys ... there's not that much space left in my bachelor flock! As it is, it's a good thing I have someone interested in the Nankin pair currently residing in my little brooder ... 'cuz the new babies are gonna need to be inside where I can spoil 'em, for a while!
Start building new housing. :oops:

Until five years ago I had two breeding groups, and it was easy. Then those bantam EEs arrived, and it turned into three breeding groups, which is a royal pain here, but I couldn't resist!
Mary
For a few years I had 7 separate flocks/breeding units, even though I only have a single breed. I only have two active coops now but I'm about to demolish a coop and turn that area into 6 more breeding pens. I have to get busy because I set eggs twice a week.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom