Coronavirus, Covid 19 Discussion and How It Has Affected Your Daily Life Chat Thread

I’ll respnd to the rest of your post when I have more time later, but fir now let me address two things. First, I think this is a very serious illness. I never said or insinuated it wasn’t. Second, you seem to have a problem with dissent. Maybe I’m reading it wrong. Maybe the labeling of my question with an inflammatory term while posting a face slap emoji helped inform this opinion. You seem to have reached your conclusion. I have very legetimate concerns about this vaccine. For the record I am not anti-vaxx in general. But every vaccine or medicine we take as a family is well researched by us. I see troubling reactions and a troubling lack of transparency concerning these vaccines. The companies that did animal trials won’t release that data. Why?
Definitely dislikes dissent. Sources disagreeing with the 'right ones' are discounted and labeled false or conspiratorial.

All you'll do here is get ran off for making valid points. Good luck!

Your ad hominem is unwelcome.
Valid points require validity. Not youtube/facebook videos or anecdotes.

I'm happy to look at real sources, but those aren't them.

Plenty of people have posted interesting things that conflict with my world views, like the studies on Ivermectin. They make me reassess my position. Claims from a headline on a clickbait website that thousands of people who got the vaccine will die six months later when plenty of people have had it for 7-8 months and been fine is not one of them and shouldn't be for anyone.

This vaccine has had one of the most highly public, scrutinized, published and otherwise reviewed developments in the entire history of our nation, using some of the best and most modern technology we have to offer to make it as safe as possible in a short time frame, and has incredible results. I know people who were in the trials and people who died of COVID and I know which one I would rather have in my life. Everyone I know in person is going to be getting the vaccine to protect themselves and their families - including people like my partners ultra right wing kinda-anti-vaxxer climate-change-isn't-real father who is a doctor. This is just best practices. By the time any of us can get it many people would have had it for over a year and many millions will be vaccinated in the USA alone.

It's not stupid to be safe. Take your time at the hospital to watch for reactions. Understand that the vaccine may may you sick for 1-3 days from immune response. If you actually have serious reactions to vaccines or other anaphylaxis level allergies speaking to your healthcare provider to determine your risk factors is smart. But if your risk assessment is that a vaccine with 0 deaths is scarier than COVID then it may need to be reassessed.

Last edited:
I'm not anti-vaccine, but I'm not likely to get vaccinated either. The vaccine doesn't keep you from getting infected or from spreading the virus. At best it helps your body deal with the affects, worst case, you die from it's affects. I read a story that referenced 55 people that died shortly after taking the shot. Maybe it was the vaccine, and maybe it wasn't but they counted folks that died with COVID as COVID deaths even though they were in hospice when they were infected.
I got a flu shot every year for 26 years, and more times than not, I got sick. I haven't taken a flu shot since 2006 and I have also not gotten the flu since 2006. The way I see it, I have as much of a chance of dying from the vaccine as I do from the COVID, so I'll pass.
I'm not suggesting that my opinion is superior to any other's opinion or that anyone else should reconsider, so all the pro-vaccine folks, take a breath. I'm not hurting anyone by not being in line ahead of you.

What about the people who can't get it who rely on herd immunity? Like the people who do have genuine allergies or can't produce a robust immune response... I worry about my immune compromised sister who might not be able to produce enough of an immune response...

I mean I guess we can all keep wearing masks forever and ever.... But if we all got the shots it could provide that herd immunity.

I posted the response to those "reports" of deaths earlier. They've been HEAVILY debunked. But you're right - it's not a totally sterile response. I didn't know that and TIL. It's still worth getting though IMO because you shed less when you've got a stronger immune response, especially in the months immediately after. If nothing else it will bring hospitalizations down in places like LA where they're overwhelmed and starting to ration care.

Got a link to that story?

Aart, if it's the one I know it's the one I posted links to when I said nobody died from it. Basically there were some people over 70+ who died in the month after getting the shot, but all of those were within normal numbers and associated with their own preexisting conditions. It was happenstance.

Last edited:
This is from the New York Times (not putting it in quotes this time because there are many salient points and I don't want them missed by this site contracting it this time):

• The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines — the only two approved in the U.S. — are among the best vaccines ever created, with effectiveness rates of about 95 percent after two doses. That’s on par with the vaccines for chickenpox and measles. And a vaccine doesn’t even need to be so effective to reduce cases sharply and crush a pandemic.
  • If anything, the 95 percent number understates the effectiveness, because it counts anyone who came down with a mild case of Covid-19 as a failure. But turning Covid into a typical flu — as the vaccines evidently did for most of the remaining 5 percent — is actually a success. Of the 32,000 people who received the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine in a research trial, do you want to guess how many contracted a severe Covid case? One.
  • Although no rigorous study has yet analyzed whether vaccinated people can spread the virus, it would be surprising if they did. “If there is an example of a vaccine in widespread clinical use that has this selective effect — prevents disease but not infection — I can’t think of one!” Dr. Paul Sax of Harvard has written in The New England Journal of Medicine. (And, no, exclamation points are not common in medical journals.) On Twitter, Dr. Monica Gandhi of the University of California, San Francisco, argued: “Please be assured that YOU ARE SAFE after vaccine from what matters — disease and spreading.”
  • The risks for vaccinated people are still not zero, because almost nothing in the real world is zero risk. A tiny percentage of people may have allergic reactions. And I’ll be eager to see what the studies on post-vaccination spread eventually show. But the evidence so far suggests that the vaccines are akin to a cure.
I'll quote this part a second time because it addresses the safety of the vaccine as it's come up here today: "Of the 32,000 people who received the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine in a research trial, do you want to guess how many contracted a severe Covid case? One."

I've never seen a story about anyone who died following vaccination. IF there are such cases we'd need to see it from an authoritative source.

Back
Top Bottom