Correct age to clip our Mini Appleyards, first time duck owners.

Snostorm

Chirping
Aug 19, 2021
Hi, me and my wife are first time duck owners, we have 3 Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, they are currently 13 weeks old and have had them for 6 weeks.

We'd like to clip their wings, I have done a ton of research on it and we have been checking their primary flight feathers and the last week there has been no visible blood at all in their quills. I believe they are ready to be clipped but I had been told to wait till they are 15 weeks old at least.

Was just looking for some advice on if they should be ready as we really don't want to hurt them in any way!

Thanks!

Can you post some pictures of the undersides of their wings?
It's got a bit too dark to get a good pic so I can get a picture of the underside of their wings tomorrow, I've attached a few pictures I took earlier of them to show their age of that helps. Apologies

Attachments

• IMG_20210819_185557.jpg
    IMG_20210819_185557.jpg
    832.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210819_192916.jpg
    IMG_20210819_192916.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 9
Are they flying at all yet? My rouens and cayugas can barely get off the ground if at all, and the khaki campbells just a couple feet, and not for long. I was going to clip them if there were any issues with getting over the fence, but no problems there yet.

Back
Top Bottom