1. cornfedhogedito

cornfedhogedito Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    California USA
    Please move if not in the right place.

found a Vet that sees poultry. They charge $10 for making an appointment and $50 for an exam of the bird. THEN depending on what they suspect is wrong work you up a price to test, x-ray mri and treat!

Does this sound normal? I have never taken a chicken to the vet before, heck my dogs and cats have never been either. Yes they get vaccinated by me.

Anyway, just seems steep for a chicken. heck I could get 8 more to replace that 1 bird for that price.

Thanks

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

That sounds about right, though the $10 to make an appointment is kind of strange, but I think you will find that most office visits are $50-$70. Blood tests and x-rays are very expensive, but fecal floats and gram stains are more reasonable.

-Kathy

3. deacons

deacons Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Yep, I would agree that's about what I'd expect. When I've brought a hen in for an exam and walked out with Baytril, it was around $100.

4. cornfedhogedito

cornfedhogedito Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    California USA
    Dang thats crazy! Just sounded high to me, but I'm cheap when it comes to having to pay for things I might be able to do myself!

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Shop around... The fist vet I saw was $65 for an office visit and exam for 1 bird. Next one I saw was $45 for 1-2 birds or $68 for 3-4 birds.

What state do you live in?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by