1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. cornfedhogedito

cornfedhogedito Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Please move if not in the right place.

found a Vet that sees poultry. They charge $10 for making an appointment and $50 for an exam of the bird. THEN depending on what they suspect is wrong work you up a price to test, x-ray mri and treat!

Does this sound normal? I have never taken a chicken to the vet before, heck my dogs and cats have never been either. Yes they get vaccinated by me.

Anyway, just seems steep for a chicken. heck I could get 8 more to replace that 1 bird for that price.

Thanks

2. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012

That sounds about right, though the $10 to make an appointment is kind of strange, but I think you will find that most office visits are $50-$70. Blood tests and x-rays are very expensive, but fecal floats and gram stains are more reasonable.

-Kathy

3. deacons

deacons Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Yep, I would agree that's about what I'd expect. When I've brought a hen in for an exam and walked out with Baytril, it was around $100.

4. cornfedhogedito

cornfedhogedito Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Dang thats crazy! Just sounded high to me, but I'm cheap when it comes to having to pay for things I might be able to do myself!

5. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Shop around... The fist vet I saw was $65 for an office visit and exam for 1 bird. Next one I saw was $45 for 1-2 birds or $68 for 3-4 birds.

What state do you live in?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by