Cost

jma6004

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 30, 2013
Carencro, LA
This morning I woke up to 7 dead chickens. That's my entire laying flock. A big dog was somehow locked in the coop over night. I was not able to figure out yet how he go locked in there. I got in touch with my neighbor who the dog belongs to. He came got his dog and had offered to replace the chickens. This was 7 buff oroingtons. Between 1 and 2 years old. My question is; is $10 a bird fair? Too much? Too little. I bought these at about 15 weeks old from a guy in town. This time I will buy day olds. Any idea on costs to of feed and bird to get day olds to laying age? Thanks.

online hatcheries are all over the place with al the info.
idunno.gif

I would take a look at your local market so you can show him proof of what is a fair asking price if he questions you. I usually pay around $20 each for 3 month old pullets. But, where I live is pretty urban and there are not a ton of local breeders so I am not sure if this is representative. Check out craigslist.

Atleast $10 to avoid the hassle.I have seen them sold online for $15,and those of not even your type.Thing is you not only loose the chickens,but they would have started laying very soon too.$20 is better,but I doubt very much he would pay that.

Take the $70 because if you ask for more he just might refuse to pay anything. I would want $100 flat out for the birds,loss of eggs,and the trauma of dealing with the BS his dog caused.What a nightmare to wake up too.

You are kind.I would have killed the dog.

That's what i would say, at least $100.00 to clear all. You start over with day old chicks you won't see eggs for 6-8 months and will have to buy your own.

Last edited:
Well we settled for $10 dollars a chicken. He came by and picked up the seven dead chickens without me asking and he fixed the coop where his dog had got in without me asking. There is a thick patch of trees between our houses and we have never met before this. He also gave me an extra $10 because he said he had found a dead chicken a few months back in a field near his house. He didn't know who it belonged to at the time. Which from our setup is believable. All in all I think it was fair. Thanks for the help.

It sounds like the situation was handled really well by everyone involved. I am very sorry for your loss but am glad to hear there was no additional conflict. Good luck with your new birds.

Decent of him to pay something even if it isn't enough at least it will cover your cost for ordering your new birds. That age of bird being established layers would definitely be worth more than 10 dollars to me, not to mention the hassle involved and the feed and trouble you have went through to raise them to that point and the feed it will cost you to raise a new batch to that point. 100 dollars or even more than that would be much more in line but sometimes it may be better to take something less and keep the peace if you are not already at dire odds with the neighbor as I am with one of mine. In my situation if it were MY neighbors dog I would have shot it and forgot about the chickens, 7 dead birds would be a small price to pay for the opportunity to shoot one of these roving mutts.

Back
Top Bottom