Coturnix Quail Colors -- Quail discussion thread

It looks like he has 1 copy of fee and is wild pattern. Wild pattern is recessive to range patterns, so if you breed him to a range pattern that does not carry wild pattern, you will get more of like a Rosetta fee bird, it will have some barring and lacing, but won’t have a full wild pattern. If you want birds that look like him, you can order some falb fees, then cross him to the tuxiest offspring each generation, until you get ones as tuxy as he is.
What are included in "range patterns?"
Edit: I just looked up "falb fee" and he definitely looks like one. What is falb fee and how is it created?

What are included in "range patterns?"
Edit: I just looked up "falb fee" and he definitely looks like one. What is falb fee and how is it created?
Falb fee is a pharaoh pattern bird with the fee gene. Fee lightens all the colors besides black, one copy of fee leaves some beige tones, particularly around the head and neck, double fee will be nearly all black and gray tones.

Separate from color, you have pattern.

A pharaoh is a wild pattern. A wild pattern with the roux gene (red) is called Egyptian. You can have any color in wild pattern, silver, red, brown, fee (b&w), etc. wild pattern chicks have stripes, one big one down the center that will have a split longways in the middle of it. The space in between will be the lighter tones, light brown or orange in most cases, sometimes yellowy cream in silvers, but it’s often just the stripes with no different tones between for them.

Range is when the bird is a more solid color, no wild stripes. The chicks will have yellow or cream eyebrows. Tibetan is pure range, Rosetta is range and wild, so it has some wild embellishments. Scarlet is Tibetan and roux and should be free of wild pattern embellishments. Since range is incompletely dominant, wild will often show thru for several generations in some of the chicks.

Italian pattern is caused by the fawn gene. One copy of fawn makes Italians, birds with a speckled pattern and usually a yellow/gold hue behind the speckles. Two copies of fawn produces manchurian, which will be mostly the diluted base color (often yellow/gold, but with fee, this will be white or cream), a dark head, and a few speckles. Italian chicks have 3 distinct stripes.

Falb fee is a pharaoh pattern bird with the fee gene. Fee lightens all the colors besides black, one copy of fee leaves some beige tones, particularly around the head and neck, double fee will be nearly all black and gray tones.

Separate from color, you have pattern.

A pharaoh is a wild pattern. A wild pattern with the roux gene (red) is called Egyptian. You can have any color in wild pattern, silver, red, brown, fee (b&w), etc. wild pattern chicks have stripes, one big one down the center that will have a split longways in the middle of it. The space in between will be the lighter tones, light brown or orange in most cases, sometimes yellowy cream in silvers, but it’s often just the stripes with no different tones between for them.

Range is when the bird is a more solid color, no wild stripes. The chicks will have yellow or cream eyebrows. Tibetan is pure range, Rosetta is range and wild, so it has some wild embellishments. Scarlet is Tibetan and roux and should be free of wild pattern embellishments. Since range is incompletely dominant, wild will often show thru for several generations in some of the chicks.

Italian pattern is caused by the fawn gene. One copy of fawn makes Italians, birds with a speckled pattern and usually a yellow/gold hue behind the speckles. Two copies of fawn produces manchurian, which will be mostly the diluted base color (often yellow/gold, but with fee, this will be white or cream), a dark head, and a few speckles. Italian chicks have 3 distinct stripes.
Thank you; that is a great explanation! I appreciate your taking the time to write it out for me. :)

So falb fee encompasses both birds with one copy of the gene and two copies?
And is the white chest on my male bird just a normal male trait for his color type, or is it caused by a certain other gene?

So falb fee encompasses both birds with one copy of the gene and two copies?
And is the white chest on my male bird just a normal male trait for his color type, or is it caused by a certain other gene?
I’m guessing in this case, it’s caused by tuxedo. A double falb fee male will normally have a white chest, but seeing the bright red around the edges, I’m thinking it’s from tux, A fee bird with 1 copy can have faded red on the chest. Does it have white primaries? If it has white primaries, it’s probably tux.

Falb fee is both double and single fee, one with one copy is often called dirty, like a dirty pearl will have beige on the back under the speckles.

Last edited:
I’m guessing in this case, it’s caused by tuxedo. A double falb fee male will normally have a white chest, but seeing the bright red around the edges, I’m thinking it’s from tux, A fee bird with 1 copy can have faded red on the chest. Does it have white primaries? If it has white primaries, it’s probably tux.

Falb fee is both double and single fee, one with one copy is often called dirty, like a dirty pearl will have beige on the back under the speckles.
No white primaries -- they are dark; the same color as his back.

Here is another picture of him.
1624070300491.png

Could I potentially create tuxes by mixing him with Tibetan tux hens.
Yes. They will probably start as messy tuxes, with smaller pied areas, and if you continue crossing the tux hens to the tuxiest Fees, you will get more and more tuxy chicks.

Back
Top Bottom