coturnix quail housing

AK_Button_Mama

Songster
11 Years
Dec 30, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
ok I was wondering could some of you show us newbs what your housing set up for your coturnix quail looks like.. right now my coturnix quail are in old rabbit cages with slide out trays. but I was thinking about getting my wonderfull hubby to build me more and was wondering what you all keep yours in!

keep in mind its really cold here so I keep my poultry indoors and at 50-50 degrees. I have 3 chickens 7 coturnix and 30 buttons and 4 rabbits. what I really need is more suitable housing for my buttons that will help them with the popcorn thing. how tall is tall enuff for them?

ok thanks guys!

Well, honestly shorter is better for buttons that bonk. If the cieling is high, then they get momentum and thats' when the damage happens. 1' to 2' is what I do...but even 2' can kill a spazzy bonker.

Coturnix quail aren't as bonky (esp adults), I have all my birds for the winter ina large rabbit hutch...it easily houses 30+ birds (not by square foot per bird standard but they can all stretch out, runaround, play etc and theres still a large amount of space empty.

Then i have a 6 hole pen built for fur animals, then was given to my friend who breeds rabbits and she sold it to me this summer. Each hole is 2ft by 2ft by 2ft tall. I can house 1 male and up to 5 hens in there fine---but it's more appropriate to put only 3 in there according to what others reccomend but i've had 6 birds total in the pens and they had all the room in the world. The buttons do crappy in it though as they freak and bonk their heads. Which is why i mention 1' for htem...my buttons do great in 1ft heighted pens, esp with the added 1inch craft foam padding the top.
smile.png
I also clip wings..but its' amazing how high they can jump JUST with legs alone....4ft i've witnessed...thtas' without flying feathers.

Use your imagination for coturnix, and go with your gut on how many per cage looks fine for you. If the birds arent cramped and they get along that's my motto.
smile.png
Mean birds aren't kept so any aggressors are culled and you'll get those in both species (buttons and coturnix)...its up to you what ya do with them no ones twisting yoru arm there
smile.png

You can see my hutch and pens on my sig below where i have a thing typed up on coturnix care, breeding, genetics, raising etc.

Quote:
Who's set-up? If you are referring to ours, the answer is yes, we scrape it out. You will want to make it with linoleum on the bottom, though to simlify this. (Makes for much easier cleaning!)
big_smile.png

Quote:
Who's set-up? If you are referring to ours, the answer is yes, we scrape it out. You will want to make it with linoleum on the bottom, though to simlify this. (Makes for much easier cleaning!)
big_smile.png

yeppers she was meaning your setup

*which i love!*

Back
Top Bottom