Coughing

henney penny

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Northern Maine
I have an ongoing cough in my flock of silkies .Its a quick high pitched cough.Two different times I have given tetracycline for 14 days,2 tsp per gallon of water fresh everyday.I noticed today that one is sneezing.This time of year the coop is very dusty and it has been extremely cold here,they do have heat at night so the coop never gets lower than 28 degrees.Is there something else that I can give them that could be put in the water or food,?I have 40.Thanks for any help

I have an ongoing cough in my flock of silkies .Its a quick high pitched cough.Two different times I have given oxytetracycline for 14 days,2 tsp per gallon of water fresh everyday.I noticed today that one is sneezing.This time of year the coop is very dusty and it has been extremely cold here,they do have heat at night so the coop never gets lower than 28 degrees.Is there something else that I can give them that could be put in the water or food,?I have 40.Thanks for any help

You could call your State vet and ask about what it would take to have one tested. Some states will send a vet out to take blood and/or nasal swabs.

State Vets

Labs listed by State

-Kathy

You should also figure out a way to reduce the level of dust in their coop. If you're using shavings, try a different brand, or one with bigger flakes?

-Kathy

I agree with reducing the amount of dust in the coop, but it may also be a good idea to have a chicken tested if your area offers that. It's possible they have a virus which will not be solved through antibiotics (however, respiratory viruses in chickens have a tendency to be much more severe than coughing and sneezing) or the antibiotic is just not right for the bacteria. Mycoplasma, Fowl cholera, and Coryza are more common respiratory illnesses in chickens. Mycoplasma can be very difficult to get rid of and the others may need to be treated with injectable antibiotic (Tylan is a good option). If you had a bird tested, you would have a better idea of what you are dealing with, or if it is just due to the dust.

Back
Top Bottom