Could an ugly, loud shirt scare my rooster?

krissyweso

Songster
May 26, 2020
Kent Island, Maryland
Today, my boyfriend, who the chickens normally love, was walking through our yard, past the chickens who were outside of their run in the yard, and one of my roosters, Torple, became startled, crowed loudly, and flew about 12 feet away. He and all of the other chickens then ran 25 yards away into their pen, then into their coop and stayed there for about a half hour before coming back out. They have never done this. Zak said he did not see anything abnormal in the yard, but he WAS wearing a loud, orange and blue flannel shirt. I thought it could be the shirt, so, later, I put on the shirt and went outside, and Torple was afraid of ME!! Without even getting close, I walked where he could see me, and totally he panicked. He is never ever even slightly afraid of me. I have been out hanging out with them since taking off the shirt, and they're all totally fine. Could it be the shirt that is scaring him? Have any of your chickens been afraid of your clothing? Has anyone had an experience like this? Maybe my rooster is just appalled by bad fashion. ;)

Last edited:
Today, my boyfriend, who the chickens normally love, was walking through our yard, past the chickens, and one of my roosters, Torple, became startled, crowed loudly, and flew about 12 feet away. He and all of the other chickens then ran into their coop and stayed there for about a half hour before coming back out. They have never done this. Zak said he did not see anything abnormal in the yard, but he WAS wearing a loud, orange and blue flannel shirt. I thought it could be the shirt, so, later, I put on the shirt and went outside, and Torple was afraid of ME!! Without even getting close, I walked where he could see me, and totally he panicked. He is never ever even slightly afraid of me. I have been out hanging out with them since taking off the shirt, and they're all totally fine. Could it be the shirt that is scaring him? Have any of your chickens been afraid of your clothing? Has anyone had an experience like this? Maybe my rooster is just appalled by bad fashion. ;)
Yes. Chickens identify each other by physical appearance. They also identify people the same way. If you want a responsive flock then wearing the same, or similar cloths when you feed them etc helps. After many years of looking after the chickens here, if I go out in something bright and strange they'll avoid me until they become used to the new look. If you change your attire in a major way day to day, it's no wonder they get confused.
Making a particular call when you approach them will help as well. They give a call sign when they approach each other.

I've never worried about what I wear out there, and when working, can show up in scrubs in amazing colors, including red, orange, or whatever. hats, no hats, hoodies in different colors, shoes, anything. I walk out there, talk to them and nobody freaks out, or attacks.
Same for other family members who are out there, although I'm the one with the loudest wardrobe! Also face masks, worn when cleaning the coop. They are upset about the cleaning, not the outfits.
I don't have orange boots, but that totally orange outfit wasn't ever a problem!
As I recall, chickens do ID faces, and recognize individual humans. My feeling is that they can get over any issues they may have over wardrobes!
Mary

I walk out there, talk to them and nobody freaks out, or attacks.
I talk to mine as I approach, I figure that gets them over any changes to my clothes or whatnot. Though they all ran like hell when I carried in a windsock I was installing, and the wind sent it flapping...
Yep, the voice is a powerful tool...for most situations.

Back
Top Bottom