Could I use a card board box as a brooder?

Cardboard appliance boxes make very creative brooders. Be sure to spread plastic on the bottom under the wood shavings and then it won't get soggy when there are spills. Secure the heat lamp with at least two different fasteners that aren't of flammable material. (Do not use string. It will catch fire.) As long as the bulb doesn't come into contact with the box, it won't burn.

You can even join two or more boxes together, cutting pass-throughs into the adjoining sides. If you're going to have 50 chicks, you may want to add boxes as they grow. They double in size each week.

Be sure to add playground equipment for them to climb on! Maybe add a tub of sand for them to romp in. Cut some windows covered with plastic in the sides so natural light can brighten their world. I place my boxes on tables so the chicks can see who's attached to the big hands and not be scared of being attacked from above. I suspend the water bottles from sticks slipped through slots near the top of the walls. It's not fancy, but they work great.

Azygous,
Do you have any more pictures that you can share which show how you created your "windows" and hung your waterers? Thanks for the great ideas ~ I pick up my first ever chicks on Wednesday and am trying to get all set up today and tomorrow! : )

I made my brooder
big_smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/toy-box-brooder

What do you think?

Here's how the water bottle is hung. The bottle is placed in a net sack, the kind tiny Clementine oranges come in, secured around the neck with a wire twisted very tight. Trim any excess netting off below it so it won't hang over into the water tray.

As for the windows, just cut a big hole into the side of the box and duct tape clear plastic (4 or 6 mil) over it. You can sort of see the window here. Also notice the pass-through cut into the common wall of the two boxes.

The chicks love having the long space to run back and forth.

Back
Top Bottom