Could someone please tell me the difference?

delsi64

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Riverton
I would like to know the difference between the Columbian Wyandotte, the Light Brahma and the Light Sussex? ?They all look the same to me. I wanted to buy the Light Sussex but in researching I have also noticed that the other two look similar. Does anyone know the specific differences so I know what to look for when I purchase them. Thanks in advance.

Wyandottes have a rose comb Brahmas a pea comb and Sussex a single comb. There are many breeds with this coloring. Delawares and Columbian Rocks also have this color pattern. The thing that makes them different is the SOP=standard of Perfection. Body shape, wieght, origin ect. makes these breeds all very different. Read the histories of how and when and where they were made.

Wyandottes, rock and delawares are american breeds. Sussex are english class and Brahmas are classed asiatic.

Well, technically, Delawares have barring in the hackles, or they are supposed to. The pattern on the Brahma, Light Sussex and Columbian Wyandotte is more solid black feathers, not barred, though at first glance, you may think they are the same. Hatcheries sometimes bred in Columbian Rock in the Dels, which was very bad for the type/standard, so those may look more like the others.

Light Sussex are wheaten based and have light underfluf. The male saddle should be white (lack black nerves/striping).

Brahma saddle should be white too (in europe), wyandotte saddle should have black nerves/striping. Wyandotte underfluf should be dark.

Wyandotte's columbian is e^b based, partridge/brown, not wheaten.

Brahma's and wyandottes have yellow legs, sussex has white legs.

One other note, despite looking similar, each breed has its own personality. Sure, there are individual differences, but you need to try to match the personality that you prefer.

Brahmas are very sweet & inquisitive, rarely aggressive, but tend to be a bit spunky. Rocks are a bit more spunky and inquisitive; the roos have a "reputation" for being aggressive. Brahmas are a bit more mellow than plymouth rocks, but not so mellow that they might as well be a rock (stone). Don't know about the other breeds as I've never had them.

Some random things that are different that will help at first glance:

Brahmas:
Yellow legs, feathers down legs
Pea comb

Light Sussex:
White legs
Single Comb

Delaware:
Barring in tail
Yellow Legs
Single Comb

Columbian Rocks: