Could this be a cross breed

turtler12

Hatching
Nov 6, 2023
We got baby chicks over the summer and this was one we got from the tub labeled Blue tint Wyandotte but the head feathers make me wonder if it’s a polish or polish mix? I’m still new to chickens so don’t have a good handle on all the breed characteristics yet! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5954.jpeg
    IMG_5954.jpeg
    937.6 KB · Views: 58
Could be cream legbar, could be a cross. There are also other breeds like Icelandics that have crests, but those usually aren't sold in retail type places. Where did you buy your birds?

I bought from tractor supply. It was in a tub labeled blue tint Wyandotte
All I can find online for "Blue Tint Wyandotte" seems to refer to what is actually called "Blue Laced Wyandotte", and I can say with certainty that is not what the chicken in your picture is :)
My guess is there was a mix-up, maybe someone put the wrong chicken back in that bin? Once she starts laying you'll have a better idea of what she may be. If it's a blue egg, likely Crested Cream Legbar. I don't know if Tractor Supply sells mixed breed chicks or not, but if they do, then it's really hard to say. Hope she does well for you either way!

I don't know if Tractor Supply sells mixed breed chicks or not, but if they do, then it's really hard to say.
They do not sell completely random mixes.

Some of the "breeds" they sell are mixes, but specially planned by a breeder or hatchery to give certain results (all colors of sexlinks are mixes done in specific ways to be color-sexable as chicks, some Olive Eggers are mixes of blue-egg breeds with breeds that lay dark brown eggs, many of the meat-type birds are hybrids of one sort or another, etc.)

I think the chicken in the first post is probably a Cream Legbar. If not that, she is probably an Easter Egger or an Olive Egger (some EEs and some OEs are descended from Cream Legbars, and can look quite a lot like them.)

They do not sell completely random mixes.

Some of the "breeds" they sell are mixes, but specially planned by a breeder or hatchery to give certain results (all colors of sexlinks are mixes done in specific ways to be color-sexable as chicks, some Olive Eggers are mixes of blue-egg breeds with breeds that lay dark brown eggs, many of the meat-type birds are hybrids of one sort or another, etc.)

I think the chicken in the first post is probably a Cream Legbar. If not that, she is probably an Easter Egger or an Olive Egger (some EEs and some OEs are descended from Cream Legbars, and can look quite a lot like them.)
Looks like they may use Hoover's Hatchery, which has an Olive Egger that uses Legbars and Welsummers - I think you hit the nail on the head :)

Back
Top Bottom