Countdown to Baby Chicks 2023 edition

Pics
I really want more blue eggers but I have to convince the rest of my household... The two we have (an Americana and bantam frizzle EE) are 6 1/2 & 8. The Americana lays around 2 blue eggs a week and my frizzle doesn't lay anymore. I'm thinking about olive eggers, cream leg bars, Easter eggers, etc., But I have a 25-chicken limit in our county and we are at 20. I got 13 more last year, a huge leap from our small flock of 7. Chicken math has gotten to me. I'm losing my mind.

Are all cream leg bars crested? My friend has one that isn't and this hatchery's photo isn't.
Screenshot 2023-02-12 10.31.46 AM.png

A dog got to my beloved Flippy. I didn't even want to tell yaw'll.

Anyway, I have my eye on some EE frizzles (now can't remember which hatchery, duh). I think Meyer. But, australorps (any color, not choosey about that) are more in my radar. We'll see. Perhaps 5 of each 🧐 .
I really want more blue eggers but I have to convince the rest of my household... The two we have (an Americana and bantam frizzle EE) are 6 1/2 & 8. The Americana lays around 2 blue eggs a week and my frizzle doesn't lay anymore. I'm thinking about olive eggers, cream leg bars, Easter eggers, etc., But I have a 25-chicken limit in our county and we are at 20. I got 13 more last year, a huge leap from our small flock of 7. Chicken math has gotten to me. I'm losing my mind.
Is there a market for selling older pullets where you live? You could buy chicks knowing you won’t keep them all (if you have the willpower for that). You likely would NOT make much if any money really, just recoup costs and have fun raising chicks. 🤷‍♀️

You could always order some EE or OE from Ideal or Mt Healthy (the two places I know that still have stock and small orders.) If you have a few extras, you could sell the chicks or raise them up to 6-8 weeks and sell them as off-heat pullets. (I am not a good influence). 😂

Is there a market for selling older pullets where you live? You could buy chicks knowing you won’t keep them all (if you have the willpower for that). You likely would NOT make much if any money really, just recoup costs and have fun raising chicks. 🤷‍♀️
Yes, there is, but I have a hard time rehoming them... I love them all so much.

Yes, there is, but I have a hard time rehoming them... I love them all so much.
Understandable. Maybe a breed you don’t like as much? I don’t get as attached to flighty leghorns. Plus, I prefer a variety since we just have hens and dont breed chickens, so if I got 10 leghorns I wouldn’t want to keep them all. Mayyyyybe one. But don’t let me talk you into a bad idea. It can be a pain texting with all the interested people when most end up changing their mind, setting up meeting places and times, etc etc. The selling side can be a bit of work.

Back
Top Bottom