Countdown To Eggs! For June hatches šŸ˜Š

I had a casualty yesterday, a June hatch BCM rooster. Iā€™d been only letting the chickens out when I can watch because of predators. Especially the hawk earlier this week.

Well they were so thrilled to be out they all followed me around like puppies. When watering the horses my gelding got pissy about so many chickens flooding into the pasture. He walked over to shoo them out and this particular rooster zigged instead of zagged. He ran right under a front hoof and was crushed. Very sad to have watched.

My 12 year old daughter consoled me by saying ā€œAt least it wasnā€™t a hen!ā€ Very true kiddo but still sad for Mom. :hit

Well they were so thrilled to be out they all followed me around like puppies. When watering the horses my gelding got pissy about so many chickens flooding into the pasture. He walked over to shoo them out and this particular rooster zigged instead of zagged. He ran right under a front hoof and was crushed. Very sad to have watched.
I'm sorry, :hugs

I had a casualty yesterday, a June hatch BCM rooster. Iā€™d been only letting the chickens out when I can watch because of predators. Especially the hawk earlier this week.

My 12 year old daughter consoled me by saying ā€œAt least it wasnā€™t a hen!ā€ Very true kiddo but still sad for Mom. :hit

Ah, man, so sorry you had to witness that! :hugs I couldn't help but chuckle at your daughter's consolation, though. šŸ¤­ I don't consider any of my birds expendable, of course, but it sure stings more to lose a pullet I know I'm keeping than it does a cockerel that may or may not be staying anyway.

Oh no! Selling?
Yes, selling. Theyā€™re cute and all, but I canā€™t just keep adding chickens without making room for them. If I had never bought the first chicken or built the first coop, I would definitely be money ahead. Thereā€™s something very satisfying about farming (small time). I enjoy selling eggs and chickens to people in my community and even selling chickens to people over 2 hours away. I keep a flock of 40 to 50 birds. I rotate out the 3 year old layers for a young group of pullets and just sell BCs as people want them. Theyā€™re not show quality, they just want good broody hens for hatching. I also sell RIRs because theyā€™re awesome!

I got my replacement chicks late this year. They hatched on June 15. Barred Rocks and Sapphire Gems. One of the Gems turned out to be a roo, despite the fact that they were sold as sex-linked females. Oh well. I'll check back in when the first egg rolls out!
How interesting! Did he looks significantly different (lighter or headspot) than the pullets?

Back
Top Bottom