county law

Quote:
I live in Lewis County Kentucky near Vanceburg. Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry, Dwightm.... I just spent 20 minutes searching and it appears that neither Vanceburg nor Lewis COunty have their Codes of Ordinance online any place.

I would call the county/city hall and ask them if it is someplace on line (that I wasn't able to find!) and if not, if it's viewable at a library or something.

Sorry!
Stacey

6.14.010 Unlawful to Sell or Give Away in Quantity Under Six.
It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to sell or offer for sale, barter or give
away living baby chicks, rabbits, ducklings or other fowl under two months of age in any
quantity less than six. (Ord. 89-141 § 5 (part), 1989; Res. 7256 §1, 1959; prior Code
§ 36.04.010)

Is this a common provision? What's it's purpose? What if you don't have room for 6? I'm sure glad we don't have that law here.​

Holly, that law is to discourage Easter Chick purchases. I think that is the best thing! I believe some (if not all) areas of CA and other states as well, forbid the sales of chicks, bunnies, goslings and ducklings in the week before Easter. Most end up dying at the hand of people ignorant of their care needs and children who don't know any better than to squeeze them to death with a hug. (Or worse, deliberate killing). Of the ones who don't die, many ducklings and goslings are illegally dumped at parks where they interfere with the ecosystem, if they live to be adults, that is. And if they do live, their average lifespan is about a year, since domestic waterfowl are dependant on humans for food and get mostly bread which is not nutritionally sound and they die of malnutrition, metabolic bone disease, from predators such as racoons, dogs, and humans. For more info visit the Duck Rescue link in my sig line.
smile.png

That law is one of the best things they have done to prevent animal cruelty.

Thanks for the info Terrie. I checked our state law and it specifies that they are not to be sold in quantities under six as pets or novelties, but specifically states that this doesn't prohibit hatcheries and stores that normally sell them for other purposes from selling them in lesser quantities. That makes more sense to me than just saying you can't sell or give away less than six, period. That just doesn't seem right to me. I wouldn't have been able to get my five chicks (the max my coop will house comfortably) with that sort of blanket prohibition. Anyway - you learn something new every day. That would also explain why I've never seen "Easter chicks" for sale or known anyone who bought one.

We also have the 6-chick law in Maine. I asked the State Veterinarian and he confirmed that it was to discourage impule buys and help keep chicks from being neglected/abused by people who weren't serious about raising them.

I'm happy about it, because I have seen people walk into feed stores for something else and go, oooh, look at the cute chicks, can we get one Mom??? And from the mom's response, it's clear that they would have NO CLUE how to take care of the chicks, but the feed store only pre-orders chicks, so they don't sell to those people. The 6-chick thing, hopefully, would deter them, even if they didn't have the pre-order-only policy.

I can see that it will be a problem for small-flock owners, though. If this becomes an issue for us, we'll get 6 and put a notice on the bulletin board at the feed stores, shouldn't have trouble finding homes for the others.

I can see that it will be a problem for small-flock owners, though. If this becomes an issue for us, we'll get 6 and put a notice on the bulletin board at the feed stores, shouldn't have trouble finding homes for the others.

Except that this particular law quoted here says it's illegal for anyone to even give away less than 6 chicks. So, you would have to keep them and raise them until they were over 2 months old to even be able to give away the excess ones legally. I doubt that would be strictly enforced, but I just dislike blanket laws like that, that make otherwise normal, innocent, behavior illegal. NC's law seems to be working well enough to discourage "Easter chicks" and still allows for legal sales of small quantities of chicks.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack this thread, but that was just something that stuck out at me.​

Along with the next carcass placed on thier door, place a 00 buck shot shell, empty it first of course in case any children should find it first.
This should get the message across. Even if you don't really intend on shooting a dog, sometimes a good bluff is good enough.

i'd put up an electric fence but before putting it up, talk to your neighbor about halfing the price. if you want to have good relations with your neighbor, communication is the key. if they say no, it's not like you're losing anything. and the electric fence will keep the dogs away from your yard.

you should also post a video camera. it's funny to watch them hit the fence the first time. and then you can replay it on your dvd, and then in slow motion....and then put it on youtube.

(oops, i must be in a cruel mood this afternoon)

Back
Top Bottom