covered runs?

KathyR

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
Tully, NY
Hi,
I have several adult chickens, various breeds. I have only one that can fly, flew out of fence once and never again. I have purchased some chicks, now 4 weeks old. They are Crested Polish and didn't think about them flying over my four foot fence. Do you think they need a covered run or will they be content to stay in the large fenced area we have? We have 4 dogs, walked near the chicken area, and our neighbor has 7 dogs. Should I be concerned about them flying over the fence? Is it their nature to want to explore or are they more content staying near home?
Kathy

i would put some sort of netting over it. if you have hawks which you probably do, they could fly in and get them. polish chickens cant see very good so they are easy food for things like hawks.

Hi,
Yes, we do have hawks, but I have never lost any of my chickens or ducks to them. Now that I said that something is going to happen. Anyway, I was hoping to avoid any more expense. The pen is right behind the house so I think that is why I haven't had any real problems. My ducks are up the hill in a barn and are turned out in a 1 1/2 acre fenced pasture in good weather. I did have hawks bothering them some but someone suggested getting a gander to protect them. I am not sure how much good Gus does (African), but haven't had any loses. Is it the chickens nature to stay close to home?
Kathy

There's always a first time, KathyR.

You have 11 dogs between you and your neighbor?? This is JMO, but I have a black lab that would clear a 4 ft. fence in, oh, about 2 seconds. Especially if there was something on the other side that she REALLY wanted. If you worry about expense at this point, and don't cover your run and then lose your birds to a predator, you'll just have to incur the expense -and the heartache- later.

But that's just my opinion. There are plenty of folks here who don't have a covered run. I wasn't willing to take the chance. It was HARD to spend the money when I was building my coop, but I wanted to do it ONCE and be done.

Good luck!

OK so expense is a huge factor for me. I am looking at how to cover my run cheap/free and not need tons of supports of wire ect. I just saw on here that someone suggested to make a "net" out of 50 lb test fishing line. Go back and forth thru wire to create the net. Drawback, only protecting from fliers. Racoons can still get in. hope it helps and don't feel bad about having to be cheap. we r raising 4 boys on 1 income!

Something cheap that will keep some predators out is better than nothing, though. You can always try socking some cash aside whenever you can and keeping a look out for cheap/free materials to add a more sturdy top to your run over time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom