Covering run with?

wannabchick

Songster
9 Years
Nov 27, 2010
Northen Va
Hello
So I read a lot..here ..lol
Love it..love u all..you have been so helpful.

If I were to use bird netting over my kennel run

What type of netting?, I see their are different kinds, different mesh sizes, knots..no knots..what should I be choosing
We have lots of hawks

What do you suggest I purchase?

Thank u

Last edited:
I've used deer netting to keep hawks out & it has worked well. Comes in 7 by 100 ft. rolls. Any of the garden netting would work, depending on the size you need. That being said, the ice has taken my one section down twice this winter, so keep that in mind. The aviary netting mentioned above is great, just depends on your budget.

Quote:
Some on here say to use silver streamers, twine criss-crossed, pie tins or CD's hanging. I would opt for deer netting. Drawback to it is that it must be fastened together to create a usable width. That is tedious. Bird netting on the other hand is already in widths up to 25 ft X whatever length you buy. It is flimsier, but will likely discourage airborne predators nonethless. I would use a system of poles topped with maybe 18" -24" dia circular plywood discs at their tops to help support it.

Regardless of what netting you go with, it will be tedious to attach it everywhere. I did the silver streamers and they are sooooo ugly. Went up in couple hours tho.

See 'My BYC Page' for how it came out. Have to scroll down a while to get there. Lots of pics.

Gerry

The roof of our run has a frame of 2x4s covered in chicken wire and then covered in a heavy duty tarp to keep out rain and snow. The tarp is then held down with more 2x4s screwed to the original frame. No hawks, snow, or nor'easter are gettin through there.

Last edited:
I am going to be redoing my chicken run area. We are putting in a 6 ft block wall around the backyard!! It will be nice to have a more secure fence.. but it means I have to do some rearranging of my current set up.

I am thinking of using the old wooden fence sections to make a new larger chicken run area. I am thinking I will cover the top with "stock wire" fencing. the holes are 2in X 4in. I will have to build a frame of some sort. Or another idea is to use PVC lattice over the top, the holes are 3 in sqares. Small birds could get in I suppose.

Last edited:
Lattice that's a great idea..when I think about it

Infact I could do netting and lattice and that would surely work and look nice

Great idea

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom