Coworkers... Gotta love em?

SSSophie

Songster
Jun 19, 2019
Florida
Sooo... I know this is not chicken related but I'm really irritated at 3:20 am... And can't post on FB because it will cost my job.

I work at a hotel as an auditor. A very nice one. The last thing I do on my shift is cook breakfast. Two days ago before leaving I mentioned to my relief that the way our bread is being put back after breakfast is possible cross contamination. Seeing as they leave the inside of the bag where the food contacts on the outside and lay it on top of a refrigerator that does NOT get wiped down daily. I could immediately tell I offended the girl. She turned her back to me very quickly as if she made a ugly face and then turned back around and told me very sternly that she does it that way.

Tonight I get to work and start prepping.... *Every* bag in the kitchen was set up that way. Can't Understand Normal Thinking lady?? I'm really upset and she gets here in a few hours. I don't know how to handle the situation or if I should ignore it.

The thing is that I have a highly sensitive tummy. Food makes me sick more often than not so I'm very careful what I eat. This makes me feel as though I cannot eat anything out of our kitchen at work because people are being nasty out of vengeance.

Am I crazy and overreacting with my food issues? This particular person nitpicks on everything I do at shift change and I've about had it with her.. my boss is a great guy but she's been working here 10 years. I have been here since August... Ugh...

IMG_20191123_030408123.jpg
IMG_20191123_030415982.jpg

I didn't quite understand until I saw the pics, yes that can cause cross contamination. I work in the dietary dept at our hospital and I would never but bread up like that, so no I don't think your being to sensitive. Not sure how you are going to deal with her about this though. Going to your Boss may cause more problems for you with her.

I think you need to explain to the person that some people have allergies and cross contamination like that can give someone anaphylactic shock, which can cause big issues for you guys.

I know that's kind of dramatic saying that, but people don't realize that cross contamination can cause serious issues for people with allergies.

I am someone who is allergic to red meat and to dairy. There are many times when I go to a restaurant and I see them handling cheese then go to handle my food, I won't eat it. I actually ask them to change their gloves If I've seen them touch any type of red meat or dairy before handling my food.

I actually don't eat out much because of this and I have few restaurants that I actually trust because they know me quite well.

Allergies and sensitivities are really nothing to mess with especially when you are the person that has the issue.

Ok, I will have to put on my 20+ years of corporate executive leadership hat here... thanks for pulling me out of chickenland... :mad:

You said you work for a "large hotel" which I assume also equates to a corporate chain. A health violation like this is pretty if the food is consumed daily is likely not that big f a deal *but* it only takes one bad time to become an issue and people got sick- that would be devastating for the business.

You have two options: You have every right (and honestly the moral responsibility) to approach your coworker and let them know that what they are doing is not ok and they need to change. But you have another option, you can anonymously go to your shift manager / GM or HR personnel and let them know. I'm guessing you work in close proximity to this person though and they would know it was you anyway- so I'd suggest a direct discussion, though difficult. If you don't want the direct discussion- then that is what your manager is for.

If this person is doing this and not listening to you about it, it is likely they are doing other things incorrectly too. When people's health is on the line in the service industry, you're really obligated to do something about it.

Thank you all for the input. I have mentioned the issue to our other night auditor who preps breakfast as it is our relef person who is doing this. She said she was going to bring it up as well and make sure it stops. I only work there part time. She is the full time auditor. What confused me is she tried to take the blame for it when she is NOT the one who put the breakfast away. The person who put breakfast away did this..

If we were sold out for summer it would be *less* of an issue as a loaf of bread wouldn't last a whole morning, however, we are slow for the winter right now. Last week we were running at less than 20% occupancy. We may go through two loaves of bread each day which means its getting taken out of the bag and put back in multiple times from a buffet... That is bad enough without turning the bags inside out lol.

BaaKaaawk, (Thank you for stepping out of chickenland for a moment to help. It is highly appreciated.) you are indeed correct, there are several things being done incorrectly in the kitchen here I have noticed. This one is new and didn't exist when i started working here. It's enough of an uphill battle to change existing habits so my goal here is not to allow more bad habits to be introduced to the situation. Most of the things I see I am able to fix on my days there such as stock rotation but there are a few of them I would love to tackle ((in good time!)) such as danger zone temperatures. The biggest issue here is comfort levels from staff members set in their ways after 10 years. One of them is the owner/GM's little pet. However, the man is highly particular and has advised me not to allow something to be served that I wouldn't eat. I'm going to piss them off by changing things that have been set in stone, and am fully aware of it. Having just hit my 90 days there I am trying to pick my battles... Yay.

Edit: This is one of the nicest hotels in my area without having to drive through tourist traffic and overheating my car every day. 10 minute drive. I used to drive 1.5 hours to the island. I just got this job at the end of July and I'm dealing with a rotator cuff injury so my options are limited. His staff stay long term. This is the first employer who will accommodate for a physical therapy schedule and has no issue if I have to go out for surgery. I really don't want to stir the pot too much but I would like for things to be healthier for my guests.

Last edited:
This thing is much bigger than her petty actions.

Absolutely no sense thinking childish games will prevent someone from getting sick.

Just make the anonymous call.
Capture+_2019-11-25-08-50-01.png

Though...

Something about an auditor cooking would have Chef Ramsay up in f bombs anyway.

Sounds fishy!

Sorce

I honestly can’t even begin to understand why she would make the wrappers inside out in the first place?!

Back
Top Bottom