Coyote Patrol

Loud noises may work to scare them off ...
Edited to remove stupid story..
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes chain link - Ken just called - he found how they got in. Scooter digs his way out sometimes - this time he had dug a rather large hole. Ken filled and moved a bunch of bricks over to the area too. The hole was by where one of the gates opens, so it would have been easy for them to push it. Ken said it looks off kilter. I do feel better knowing he found the point of entry.

Like I said, it is not easy to get onto our property and I have never seen one INSIDE before. Scooter - bad dog, good dog.

I am glad you found point of entry. That is a good thing. Now you know to walk the perimater and keep an eye on Scooters other activities.
I would still go to Tractor Supply and find out what it would take to hot wire your fense. If you allow them to free range you will still have other predaters to deal with including the airborn kind. The hot wire should eliminate pretty much everything but the airborn problems.
I realize the coyotes now know you have chickens but they also know you have a dog to. Even if he is a 45-60 lb Shepherd mix he is a hassle for them. They are animals of opportunity and in between your dog and you......... it is still a hassle to get a cheap easy meal. Better known as it is not all that easy of a meal. They will come back I would guess, from time to time to see if they can get an easy meal. And if they are desperate for food they for sure will be back. Stay dilegent, walk the perimater to make sure they or scooter is not messing with the fense line, get a hot wire on the chain link and have a shot gun handy. Cover all your bases and be prepared. And if you send Scooter after them, just make sure you're there where you can back him up.

Edited to add picture of my flock and their fire alarm....... the cocker spaniel Riley.
45854_rchiks1101.jpg

The lady with 4 dogs and 4 city chickens

Last edited:
Kota I do know that they are hunters of easy prey. We NEVER let the girls free range. There are almost always chicken and red hawks circling the area because so many people around their have chickens. Their coops are covered too. We are serious about protecting them!

CUTE DOGGY!

1. unless they're in your fenced hen yard I doubt you'll ever get close enough to them to shoot them with a shotgun
2. Coyote's howling seem like 7-10 even when there's only two or three or four
2. 7-10 is a LOT of coyotes at one time. I've only ever seen tracks of 5 together at this time of year once, 4 another time or two, three sometimes, two a bunch and one more commonly. Tracks I've followed have shown that large groups are not together for long periods of time thought pairs, threes sometimes spend large portions of time hunting. I've seen them work together to try and hunt rabbits, hares, etc, but prey like chickens would just as likely be attempted by one lone yote.
3. Only you know your skill with a rifle and the layout of your land and the safety of shooting in a particular direction
4. Fences- most yotes I've seen encounter fences go under or through them in breaks, tears, gaps, etc
good luck. Keystonepaul

Back
Top Bottom