Coyote Problem *Update* w/ graphic pic

forgot to mention that our huntress friend who came to scope out the farm, said she saw a bobcat kitten about 200 yards from the house. Greaaaaat. Just when we we'd started to eliminate the wild dog problem, here comes the wild cat problem... I guess that's rural living for you!

Well done on the part of your husband. The coyotes will now become more cautious or hopefully move on to an area where they don't feel endangered.

Quote:
In NYS there is an open/closed season and, unless they (or mink, weasels,skunks, coons, possums, etc) are actually menacing your livestock, you cannot shoot or trap/kill them without a DEC permit. In short those that see 'em, shoot 'em during closed season are breaking the law and can be subject to fines/loss of firearms and licensing privileges. There is a movement afoot in NYS to have coyotes reclassified as varmints--they are currently fur-bearers--with a year around season but that hasn't happened yet. I suggest you check with your local wildlife department. IN NYS the only mammals one can kill without license and season are rats, red squirrels, mice, woodchucks, and wild boar.

That is interesting cuz I have a friend who is having a fox problem. I just thought I'd check to see in case I do. Right now I just try to deter them by whizzing on select places around the yard (at night or in the early morning). and near the edges of the woods. So far no sightings of anything except rabbits at night.

You know yesterday I was picking Goose Berries and pricking my fingers and I thought that a "hedge row" Of Gooseberry plants around the chicken yard might be a good deterrent against fox and coyotes. Planted thickly enough and with some 5' chicken wire or stronger as fencing it would surely keep them from coming through.

You could alternate between Gooseberry plants and then do a row of raspberries and black berries and like that and circle your whole chicken yard. Then just put gates in selected places that they can't get through. The idea is to make it as hard as possible for them to get through.

Back
Top Bottom