Coyotes attack 6 year old in Rye NY. 2nd Child in Rye Attacked

The AP story I read says they believe they were rabid, which certainly changes the dynamic..... That being said (and knowing the coyotes killed around here average 50 lbs) I wouldn't leave a small child outside without supervision......

Is it possible they were coy-dogs? 1/2 dog 1/2 coyote the reason I ask is because where my parents have their dairy farm in western NY they have these and they are sooo not afraid of humans and will come right up to you. Just a thought poor girl.

Julie
smile.png

Coyotes here in NH are coydogs....it's just another name for a coyote here and we do have them! Poor kid, she will suffer in so many ways from this, i can remember a girl in my class that had been attacked by wild dogs when she was little, and my friend's daughter was also attacked by a dog, both of them to this day have a fear of anything canine. Sounds like they were rabid as they said to attack during the daytime and so close to a residence with activity around it.

These guys probably were running in a pack. If they changed their "pack run" and these kids were withing a few hundred yards of the change, the alpha may have diverted to the kids.

Coyote become "unreasonable" in the pack run. They are fearless and work off instict.

In a nightly or morning run these guys get pretty darn serious.

There were two or three instances on the New Jersey shore (Middletown) last year where coyotes attacked small children. It does happen. These were non rabid- they were looking for something to eat.

Quote:
coydogs are kina neat kina like a chupacabra part fact part fiction a female coyote will stand and let a dog breed her if there are no male coyotes around when they started returning east they did this a lot but once the yote population has been established this does not happen after a number of generations has passed the dog is pretty much bred out except for the weird colors . We have red wolves just south of me we get strange colored yotes here mostly reddish . lots of wonderful publications FWS has on file. this worries me more then coydogs

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/55669...k-after-canadian-singer-taylor-mitchell-death

http://wolfcrossing.org/2007/11/14/hybrid-wolf-coyotes-protected-under-the-esa/

http://www.ncseagrant.org/home/coastwatch?task=showArticle&view=listarticles&id=663ALLIGATOR RIVER TODAY

Despite some resistance, the red wolf recovery effort is a success on many fronts, according to David Rabon, coordinator of the Red Wolf Recovery Program at USFWS. Growth has been stable, if slow, for North Carolina's red wolves. Today, there are 110 to 120 wolves in the total wild population.

"The initial obstacle was the fact that the wolves had been raised exclusively in captivity," Rabon explains. 'There were no wild wolves. The wolves had to leam to be wolves again, to be wild again."

Another obstacle came in the form of coyotes. During the 1990s, coyotes began spreading into Eastern North Carolina and mating with red wolves. By the end of the decade, hybridization with coyotes became the greatest issue facing red wolf recovery.

Because red wolf packs feature a single, monogamous breeding pair, scientists couldn't remove a coyote once it was established as a red wolfs mate. Rather, USFWS began sterilizing coyotes. Although this intervention limits the number of potential wolf offspring, it protects the species integrity of red wolves.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom