Coyotes!!!!

For years we have heard the coyotes howling out in the woods...this year the howling seemed very close. I guess they were close. The chickens will remain in the run and locked in the coop at night. It makes me sad to see them locked up, but the alternative of letting the coyotes know that my yard is the place for a good lunch...well, that will just keep them coming back for more. In the mean time, we are coyote hunting. With a vengance.
somad.gif

I live in the boondocks and have lots of predators (coons, skunks, possums). I saw a coyote last week in the pasture and last night at 6 pm saw him standing right outside my fenced-in chicken yard trying to figure out how to get in. YIKES! I have a 5' fence and it is electric but I am afraid to let them out today! Have this nice yard for them to get out in and enjoy but....Can coyotes jump a 5' fence? It has electric wire ran on the outside of the fence about 4' high and then some around the gate near the ground. This is the first time I saw a coyote, I usually just hear them. Plus, he was right at the fence in MY yard! I ran out of the house screaming at him and he ran off. I didn't have time to get the gun.

I live in the boondocks and have lots of predators (coons, skunks, possums). I saw a coyote last week in the pasture and last night at 6 pm saw him standing right outside my fenced-in chicken yard trying to figure out how to get in. YIKES! I have a 5' fence and it is electric but I am afraid to let them out today! Have this nice yard for them to get out in and enjoy but....Can coyotes jump a 5' fence? It has electric wire ran on the outside of the fence about 4' high and then some around the gate near the ground. This is the first time I saw a coyote, I usually just hear them. Plus, he was right at the fence in MY yard! I ran out of the house screaming at him and he ran off. I didn't have time to get the gun.
Place some strips of bacon on the hot wire , the yote or any other critter that grabs it will get a jolt they will not soon forget, they will not touch your fence again.

Coyotes are capable of just about anything......I have had them get over a near 5 foot woven fence,then climb a 6 +foot woven corral fence to get on top of a lower roofed shed,then jump down into the corral with the confined sheep as to avoid the livestock guard dogs patrolling the yard....

Also when coyotes or any wild animal makes approach when you are visible,one must be concerned about rabies.
I love the idea in the previous post by zazouse of using baited hotwires & plan to try it,possibly that might work for predators by air also !

Coyotes are capable of just about anything......I have had them get over a near 5 foot woven fence,then climb a 6 +foot woven corral fence to get on top of a lower roofed shed,then jump down into the corral with the confined sheep as to avoid the livestock guard dogs patrolling the yard....

Also when coyotes or any wild animal makes approach when you are visible,one must be concerned about rabies.
I love the idea in the previous post by zazouse of using baited hotwires & plan to try it,possibly that might work for predators by air also !
My neighbor, to protect his flock from air predators, has a pole in the center of his fenced in yard. Then from that, he strings wire to the fence, kind of like a umbrella without the fabric. The wire spaced so they can't fly in, their wings would hit the wires. It works great for him. I haven't had a problem with air predators, just ground ones. And now this coyote!

i saw a half grown coyote run across my front yard this morning. i have two german shepherds in the back. the chickens are in an open topped run on the side. will the coyotes risk the dogs to get to the chickens?

Back
Top Bottom