Craigslist Quandary

so lucky

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 31, 2011
SE Missouri
I listed my 5-month old rooster on Craigslist, free for the taking. The only call I have gotten on him was today, from a young man. He asked if the rooster crows, is it loud, how often, etc. He revealed that he wants to give the roo to his brother for his birthday. After a few questions, I found out that neither this young man nor his brother have any experience with chickens, and it was going to be a "surprise." I sensed that it was going to be given as a gag gift. No telling what the poor rooster would be subjected to by people who don't understand the needs or behavior of a rooster. I (nicely) suggested to the caller that he do some research to see what he may be getting into, before he gets/gives a rooster. Jeesh!!
barnie.gif

I would not give them the bird either. Better to be butchered by an experienced chicken handler than subjected to who knows what at the hands of potential neanderthals.

Every so often I give roos away on CL too. You do have to weed through some odd people if you want to be sure he gets a good home. Some will want to eat him, some want them for stupid reasons. I had a guy ask me questions with no clue about chickens whatsoever. His biggest concern was how tall the rooster was. When I asked why that mattered he said he wanted him for a college party where they would be racing roosters - still not sure why he had to be a tall rooster
roll.png
. I can only imagine where those poor roosters would end up once the party was over though.
Just be picky, I have found some great homes for my extra roos, it just took time to find the right ones to adopt. If you are patient and ask questions you will find him a responsible owner eventually. Sometimes I have to renew my posts before I find the right one to take them.

My last CL taker wanted to use my roos to "train" his dogs to leave chickens alone. No thank you. I don't mind if they are humanely killed and eaten, but let's not torture them to death, shall we? Sheesh!
rant.gif

I explained to him that dogs and chicken rarely, if ever, were able to interact unless it was a flock protector type dog. Regular, run-of-the-mill farm dogs generally would tear the chickens to pieces. He argued and I told him he couldn't have my roosters. He got a smidge cranky. Oh well.

Yes, I would rather him be butchered by someone who knows what they are doing, than allow him to be abused/neglected by uneducated people. I will continue to screen the calls. In the mean time, the roo may get through his onery teenage stage and be allowed to stay in his kingdom.

I recently posted Buttercup the Vampire Rooster on Craigslist. I got exactly one email from one person who wanted to have him. I told the guy to show up and I would see how Buttercup responded to him. This guy showed up in a pick-up truck with a dog kennel, pine chips, attached (and filled) food and water dished modified for chickens, and treats. He handled Buttercup like a pro and tucked him up under his arm while feeding him grapes. I asked him how he handles his chickens in the winters. He pulled out this fancy cell phone that you can swipe your thumb across and show photo's. Apparently his chickens have radient flooring heat, insulated coops, automatic feed and water, free range during the day and into the coop at night. He has 12 hens and now a rooster that has his very own harem of ladies, LOL! I even got an update with phot's a few days ago. Buttercup looked like he was king of the world. Still, I would screen very very carefully for weirdo's though!

This is the reality of selling/giving away roosters that you don't want. Once they leave, you really have no control or say what happens to them, because they are no longer yours. I'm glad that we're able to butcher and eat ours rather than wonder what happened to them.

Back
Top Bottom