Crash course needed ASAP

I grind stuff up for mine. I have one of those Magic Bullet grinders and I ground up 2 hard boiled eggs, 6 egg shells (the other hard boiled eggs were mine, yum), about a 1/2 cup of brown rice uncooked, and 3/4 cup uncooked rolled oats. They LOVE it! I also have given them parakeet grit in their food, plain yogurt, and they go CRAZY for fruit. I love it!

My babies look just like yours, I have Lavender Ameraucanas but they show black. Yours look like mine did at about a week and a half. Now mine are 2 weeks and the wings have all the feathers up to the shoulder and there are quite a few feathers starting on the back and breast.

Cornmeal might be fine to hold them over for a day, but you really should try to get chick starter feed. It contains all the nutrients baby chicks require to grow into health youngsters.

Quote:
I fully agree. But an emergency is an emergency. Corn meal will keep them alive, keep them from being hungry, and provide some nutrition and certainly energy. So will the scratch as long as it is ground small enough they don't need grit. Potatoes will do the same for humans, but a balanced diet is much better.

Don't forget to give them some grit if you are giving them any type of food that isn't already ground up. If you don't have grit you could probably use some coarse dirt or sand from your yard, since they have already been eating from out there anyway. Good luck, they are adorable!

THE MOMMA IS ALIVE! She just showed up this morning... now that we have them in a brooder and seperate we figured we might as well raise them inside...

Why do they need grit/dirt? what does it do for them? thnx

I'm glad momma showed up! If you have a place to put them back together she will raise them for you but, if you want to continue to hand raise them, they need grit to help grind up the food.

woot.gif
yay for momma! (and on mothers day, too!)

The grit is to help the chicks digest their food - if they get anything other than ground up stuff the grit grinds it up for them in their l'il gizzards.

YAAYY!! The Mom is back!! And on Mother's Day!!!

You really need to make sure that you have a predator-proof place for them at night (and maybe in the daytime too!.

I would put them back out with the mother. She knows more about raising them than you do!!! LOL
lau.gif
ALso, you won't have to try to introduce them to each other later on. You can still feed your addiction by bringing them treats and food!!

Good Luck!!
hugs.gif

Cindy

Glad Momma is back! I would put them outside... they are cute indoors but it gets stinky and you have to clean the brooder daily .... I wish I had a momma to raise mine! LOL Also what CAL chick said.... you won't have to introduce them later.

Good luck!

Nancy

Back
Top Bottom