Crazy easy way to make hard boiled eggs

I am boiling again today, and I am actually looking forward to it now, instead of loathing the possibility!

And my family loves the fact that egg salad is now always in the fridge!

Yippee!!

And to think that my whole life I've thought that the yolks of boiled eggs were supposed to be grey!
gig.gif

As soon as I found this thread 30 minutes ago I put water on to boil! I have had a hard time finding just the right method. Well DH was so excited that he wanted to peel them. So now he is standing in the kitchen saying wow! Look at this one! This is SO easy!

Thank you! Thank you!
ep.gif

Ok, so I'm starting the water boiling right now so I can boil eggs for making egg salad for the first time ever. Wish me luck- I googled "egg salad recipe" and found one that I think will work.

The tip about it taking longer to boil things at higher altitudes is correct. Most recipes are designed for places below 3500 feet above sea level. So if you are above that then add a couple of minutes more to your cooking time.

If you are using the cold water start method you can take the eggs straight from the frig. If you are using the boiling water method, and have problems with eggs cracking when placed in the hot water, try letting the eggs set on the counter for about 15 minutes first to let them come to room temperature. This will allow the shells a chance to warm up and loosen up a bit. Also this will allow the membrane a chance to thaw and not crack the shell.

I add white vinegar to the water, a couple tablespoons is all. It changes the acidity of the water, helps separate the egg from the inner membrane.
I lower the eggs into boiling water with tongs or a spoon. To reduce cracking, I set them on top of an egg already in there, helps reduce the shock as they don't fall to the bottom of the pan to crack. let them go for a while. I have a timer, maybe I should use it.

When I think they have had enough, they go into the sink. Pour off the hot water, keep them under the tap to cool. When cool enough to handle I tap and roll them gently to crack the shell completely. They go back into the cool running water for a while. With the cracks, the water is able to penetrate the shell and in places, the inner membrane. I never, ever peel them when hot. Warm eggs are considerably more tender than cool eggs. I peel them underwater, letting the water act as a lubricant. I get the peel started from the big end and often the shell rolls right off. I get some here and there that come out looking like the moon, but most of the time I end up with a smooth egg.

Temperature shock going into boiling water and cooling down as fast as you can seems to have the greatest effect.

You need strong shells in your eggs. Weak shells don't seem to peel as easily. Make sure your birds are getting enough calcium. I save my shells, dry them in a bowl in the sun, crush them up and toss them in to the pen. The birds gobble it up, gives them something for the gizzard and a source of calcium.

Quote:
Good point- thanks. Maybe next time I'll just start with cold water and boil the eggs with the water. I am at a high altitude but 14 minutes worked well for me.

I learned a lot of things today because of this thread! I learned how to boil eggs so the shells come off easy, I learned that the yolks are supposed to be YELLOW not grey (mine ended up yellow today, thank you very much) and I learned how to make egg salad (much to the dismay of my young sons. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom