Crazy Picture!!!!!!!!!

Mason & Singer, Animal Factories, 1990, p. 39, note de-beaking started around 1940 when a San Diego poultry farmer found if he burned off the upper beaks of his chickens with a blowtorch, they were unable to pick and pull at each other's feathers. His neighbor adopted the idea but used a modified soldering iron instead. A few years later a local company began to manufacture the "Debeaker," a machine that sliced off the ends of birds' beaks with a hot blade. Broiler chicks are debeaked once because they're slaughtered before their beaks can grow back. [Some broiler producers no longer debeak, relying instead on youth, lethargy, and dim lighting to control behavior.] Laying hens and breeding flocks are debeaked, sometimes twice, during the first week of age and sometimes again between 12 and 20 weeks of age. It is recommended that turkey poults be debeaked between two and five weeks of age. Ducklings and goslings are debilled by slicing off the forward edge of the upper bill with an electric debeaking machine. An operator debeaks 12 to 15 birds a minute.

The modifications in the pecking and drinking behavior of birds following partial beak amputation [conforms with other reports] that partial beak amputation results in long-term (56 weeks) increases in dozing and general inactivity, behaviors associated with long-term chronic pain and depression."

------------------------------------------------------------

I've underlined and made bold where it says the beaks grow back.

Last edited:
I know it looks terrible, but I think you will get used to it. Remember that this was something done to them, not something they did naturally or preferred -they can't help the way they look now.
hmm.png

If it helps think of them as war veterans -they may have lost a physical attribute, but they are plenty capable of doing their job.
smile.png

Ah, the poor girls! Imagine how depressed they are! How lucky that they've found a place to rest & recuperate! Enjoy taking care of them. I'm sure they will recover just fine!

I don't think it's gross.. but it is horrible what they've done to them. Poor babies. I feel so bad for chickens that are done this way. I wish there was something we can do.
sad.png

The only thing you can do at this point is give them a good life. They don't know they look different, and certainly wont act different. It's just one of those things that you have to accept and keep on rocking along...

Back
Top Bottom