CRD (possible mycoplasmosis) in flock...TEST UPDATE

Quote:
My dogs don't go to him.
I searched around for a vet that deals with birds.
He also sees exotic animals, and pretty much any other animal.
He says hes had other patients with poultry, or birds like pigeons, etc.
So i think he is avian certified. He knew alot about chickens and the different breeds so he seems to know what hes talking about.

And no, i guess she didn't know they were sick till i had them for a while.
I complained about my birds showing symptoms then other previous customers also complained that their birds also got sick.
She said some of her show birds or other birds had been showing symptoms of runny noses and eye issues on and off and she doesn't think there is anything seriously wrong with them because they get tested at her state fair so if they had anything she would know about it.
She said that her vet told her it was normal for chickens to show those kind of symptoms under stress or weather change...but i don't know, ive had chickens before and i never had them even sneeze before.
And the fact one has a eye problem like mine...then died...sounds alittle sketchy to me.

They will be fine one day then sick the next and on and off

sorry to hear what your going thorough......but please don't give up, there might acctually be a chance for them. And birds at the state fair only get tested for Avian Influenza and Polluriom, so they could have anything other than those, i took my black australorp pulle to a show and all the birds were tested for those 2 disease but she came back with a respitory infection, coughing, hoarse voice, wierd breathing, but we treated her with Tylan 50 for 3 days and she cleared right up. She's now healthy and happy in her coop
smile.png

So got the test results back and they are negative for MG but it came back as "suspect" for MS.
The vet was trying to explain to us what that could mean. Since its not a definite yes or no, he is calling the lab back tomorrow to figure it out.
But he said since they have been sick this long, that's it's not unlikely this is whats going on.

Anyone else get "suspect" on their results?

What would you take that as?

To me, if it was negative, it would come back negative, meaning they saw nothing.
"Suspect" would mean they saw something but couldn't totally define it as positive.
Just wondering if other people have experienced this with tests.

MS is just as bad as MG as you probably already know. If that's what it is, it would still be in your best interest to cull your birds. I've never had a necropsy performed. However, I've had feces sent off for analysis to a university vet school resulting in positive ID of E Coli infection that occured in a JG roo I owned. The end result was he had to be culled.
Here's a link, you can scroll down to Mycoplasma Synoviae (MS) and read about it if you wish:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Quote:
Thank you, thats what i thought. I knew mycoplasma in general was bad news
hmm.png
This has been going on for like 1-2 months now
This is very unfortunate that i will have to start over...
Thankfully i have already emotionally prepared myself for this (culling my birds).
I had a feeling it was chronic repository disease
hit.gif
....too many of the symptoms matched.
And the fact that other birds that came from the same place were also sick and dieing made my alarm bells go off.
Looking on the bright side, at least winter/snow will come and hopeful help get rid of this.
Though i already plan to put lime on the soil of their run.
Its sad, but i also have neighbors who also have chickens and i definitely don't want them getting this or for my birds to suffer any longer.

Last edited:
Testing for MS in poutry is done by looking for antibodies that would have developed in a bird exposed to the disease or recently vaccinated. The reason for the "suspicion" is that the results are based on the antibody titer or level. Here are the way the test results are worded, depending on which test was used.

The most used serological tests are serum plate agglutination (SPA), hemagglutination inhibition (HI), and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) [11–19], followed by mycoplasma isolation and identification. SPA titers greater or equal to 1:10 are considered positive, 1:5 are suspicious, and titers lower than 1:5 are considered negative. In HI, titers equal to or greater than 1:80 are considered positive, between 1:20 and 1:40 are suspicious, and below 1:20 are considered negative [3].

Quote:
Thank you for explaining that.
It helped alot.
So i guess i will just wait for my vets response and opinion on what he thinks.
Weighing in the clinical symptoms and test results.

It would probably help to know if they were vaccinated. That could explain the presence of antibodies. You might want to contact the person you got the chicken from and ask.

I am so sorry this has happened to you. There are so many things that can go wrong with chickens. I think I never realized it because my grandmother never kept them around long enough to get sick. I'll be thinking about you and hoping for the best.

Mary

Last edited:
Darn in Foxy I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I contracted MG in my flock a few years ago and culled. CT has an AMAZING state vet and testers that will come out for free to test for some things and $1 a bird for MG/MS.

They have two tests for MG & MS. Both are subject to a lot of cross contamination.

If you don't get the answers from your vet call:
Ct Vet Diag 860-486-3738
61 north eagleville rd, storr, ct

You can also bring any dead birds (or live but they cull) to UCONN for free or close to free testing.

They took amazing care of me when I went through this. I'm about 40 miles away from you.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they wern't vaccinated.
The person they came from dosesn't like vaccinating....
Thank you for your kind words

Back
Top Bottom