Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Hello people,

When we start our flock we might eventually breed some cream legbar crosses as sex links, most likely cream legbar roo to white silkie hen, would that work? At the moment the silkie is the only planned white breed we'll have, but I might make a case for a light sussex now. If we ever hatch chicks some will be pure breed CLs too.

My other option for a roo is a welsummer so if we go with one of those we'll be producing sex links based on the barring gene in the CL hens

There's more CCL threads than chicks...lol

Really new to BYCing.....Just a question: I have a broody sitting on three eggs, CCL roo and either BO or GLW hens....will they be sex-linked chicks? And are there any incidators of what color the hens might lay?

Since I opened this thread, I will repost an item that I posted on the cream legbar thread. Enjoy & Comment!

Apparent Confirmation of Transmission of Cream Legbar Autosexing Traits

Earlier, I had posted some pictures of the results of crossing cream legbars with an EE hen and RIR hens. This came about initially to keep three males who had reached sexual maturity prior to the cream legbar pullets. This allowed the pullets to grow without too much harassment from the juvenile males. It worked as planned. So on a whim, I decided to hatch some of these eggs to see what would come of this crossing. i was curious as to whether the autosexing traits could be transmitted.

When the three chicks hatched, I was fairly certain that the trait had been transmitted. The CCLxEE roo appeared to have a white spot on his head. Feather sexing also indicated that this chick was a roo. As you will note from the pictures at one week below, it does appear that the autosexing trait did transmit to this first generation cross.

Hatching pictures of CCxEE Roo

CCLxEE Roo at one week

Note what appears to be a definitive white spot on his head as opposed to a "cap" exhibited by other barred chick varieties. While certainly a case may be made for the chipmunk stripping on this chicks back, my feeling is that this more attributable to the EE inheritance.

For reference:

EE Mother of CCLxEE Roo

Father of CCLxEE Roo and CCLxRIR Pullets

With respect to the CCLxRIR crosses, each of these chicks exhibited strong chipmunk stripping as well some RIR striping from the back of their heads. Feather sexing also appears to indicate that these two chicks are pullets.

The following pictures are of the CCLxRIR pullets on hatching day:

Pullet #1

Pullet #2

The following pictures at one week of age are much more definitive. You will see heavy chipmunk striping and CCL eye liner as well as the RIR center strip down the back of the head. What you will not see is any indication of a white spot on the head of these chicks.

Pullet #1

Pullet #2

Both chicks together

This has been an interesting adventure. Thoughts?

I was just looking back at this thread and reading your first post and I noticed you said you think you have passed on the autosexing trait. I just wanted to mention that all of my CL x chicks pullets and roosters have hatched with very tiny head spots and very defined chipmunk striping Both of those distinguishing markings together on each chick. So I am not sure if this auto sexing trait will get passed on through mixed breeds. It will interesting to see your chicks as they grow and if you were able to sex them by their traits.

I have CL hybrid chicks They are Cream Legbar Rooster x SIlver Laced Cochins (which creates a Red Sexlink) pullets hatch reddish brown roosters hatch yellow/black or silver/black

These are my 2 pullets I am growing out

at hatch the 2 pullets are to the back left with reddish/brown faces

and I have 2 new hatched chicks they are CL x Silver Laced Wyandottes (also Red Sexlinks)

the red/brown chick is the pullet the yellow and black is the rooster

are you going to cross them back to the laced parents. Or the best looking sister to the best looking brother. It takes two generations to get the lacing back right. Or you can get it with two birds breed together that both have the lacing gene. am i right or wrong.

Last edited:
are you going to cross them back to the laced parents. Or the best looking sister to the best looking brother. It takes two generations to get the lacing back right. Or you can get it with two birds breed together that both have the lacing gene. am i right or wrong.

I am not positive on that. I am trying my best to learn about all the genetics when breeding back to get certain results. I have no plans right now to breed back for lacing. The 2 pullets posted above I plan to breed with a BCM rooster for Olive Eggs.

Some folks have discussed using cream legbars to make sex-links. There is a good article that someone linked for me that provides a wealth of information for those who are interessted in sex link crosses/hybrids.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

The first post int this thread provides a pracitical guide for doing sex link crosses.

Last edited:
So, I have eggs from my Golden Laced Wyandotte hen and my CCL roo is the daddy. I decided to incubate a couple just for fun. Any genetics pros out there that can predict what I am going to end up with besides "a chicken", LOL!? She lays Cream to Pinkish cream colored eggs.

Back
Top Bottom