Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Pics
Quote: Yes, I agree. Most Cream Legbars in the US have excessive gold, but aren't they still being called Cream Legbars?

To me, it would make sense to start referring to CCL birds with excessive gold "Gold Crested Legbars" but I have not seen that term being used yet. It will be interesting to see what happens when GFF releases Jill Rees' line of CCLs.

Has anyone here crossed a Maran with a Cream Legbar? I'm getting and OE that will either be that cross or Maran x Americauna, and I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of such a hen and maybe an egg. Since I have no idea what the parents will look like it's all guessing anyway, but I'm curious.

Has anyone here crossed a Maran with a Cream Legbar? I'm getting and OE that will either be that cross or Maran x Americauna, and I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of such a hen and maybe an egg. Since I have no idea what the parents will look like it's all guessing anyway, but I'm curious.
A little to early for me to say. Only one week into incubating. Bottom row is CL over Black Copper Marans. Her eggs are not that dark but she is very prolific for a BC Marans, 8 eggs in 10 days of collecting.

A little to early for me to say. Only one week into incubating. Bottom row is CL over Black Copper Marans. Her eggs are not that dark but she is very prolific for a BC Marans, 8 eggs in 10 days of collecting.
Great! You'll have to keep us updated, they should be some interesting chicks
thumbsup.gif

One of my perpetually broody Silkies stole some eggs and is sitting on them. By the time I figured out she was no longer sitting on imaginary eggs, they had started to develop. Two are from a blue copper Marans hen. The broody stole them late, though (compared to the others) and they're way too dark for me to candle. I may pop them in the incubator if she abandons them, but it's so cold here that I'd probably have to be there the moment she rejects them.
edited to add: The father is most likely a CL.

Last edited:
Is there a too dark of a brown egg layer to mix with CL to make a nice olive color egg? Or what shade of brown gives the nicest olive color?

There is definitely not too dark of a brown. The darker the better which is why most use a Black Copper Marans for the Olive Egger cross since they are said to lay the darkest brown eggs. I cross my BCM rooster to my blue and green egg laying Easter Eggers for my F1 Olive Egger crosses. The result is a nice Olive colored egg.

I plan to cross back to a BCM rooster and then in a future generation cross back to a Cream Legbar rooster

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom