Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HaplessRunner, Sep 18, 2013.

1. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    nice, thanks for the update pics
  2. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    He hatched from blue CL hatching eggs that I got from a local source that got their stock direct from GFF.

I was thinking that maybe it wasn't her egg after all and maybe it was my Olive Egger that laid it. But the pinkish brown egg is very similar to the cochin eggs these pullets hatched from. So it must be the CLxSLW.

I did get a green egg yesterday but its shape resembles the OE and EE eggs that I get. So it must be from the Olive Egger pullet.

Now thinking about how some peoples CL pullets lay green eggs and even in the UK green eggs is an accepted part of the SOP most likely because grren eggs are as common as blue in their CLs. Im wondering if this could be a defect in the CL breed that hasn't been picked up on yet. I wondering how many other CLs only carry one blue egg gene. Or maybe I just got REALLY unlucky.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  3. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    I have 2, supposedly pure, CL hens that a friend hatched from blue eggs. Yet, they lay a really green egg. I don't know much about genetics, I am just getting up to speed on all of this, but it seems to me that there is probably some mix in there. The hens and the rooster that came from the hatch look like they are pure, but this has me wondering. Thoughts?
  4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Someone correct me if I am wrong; but I am thinking that if a hen that lays blue eggs produces pullets that lay green eggs then the genes for the green eggs came from the rooster.

Does this make sense?

If I am right, then all it will take to get rid of green eggs in the breed is test mating roosters on known blue egg laying females.
  5. farmhand

farmhand Chillin' With My Peeps

I read somewhere on some thread that a test for blue genes was available for not too much $. But not sure what it told you; double or single gene. Or if I misread the thread.
  6. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    Is the green coming from the brown "covering" genetics or that and some "suppression" of the brown genetics and that is coming from the rooster? Again, sorry if this is waaaay off, I am just beginning to get my head around hetero/homozygous, autosomal dominance and all of the other bits that go with this.

I read this to try to understand the blue egg genetics (thought I would share in case there are other newbies to this like I am), but it doesn't mention anything about the green egg issue (I did read punnett's article on the blue egg, but got a bit lost...).
  7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I don't know....... Just some thoughts I have rolling around in my head. I am still waiting to get my first CCLs. I love blue eggs and I think CCLs are beautiful!
  8. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    how do they do in the heat there? You'd think fine with the large combs but I believe I heard stories of people loosing them last summer could be wrong though
  9. HaplessRunner

HaplessRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Boston, VA
  10. ChicKat

ChicKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

wow, if you find anything on that - please post it here--and you could also weigh in on the survey if you want to voice an opinion;

Thanks - maybe someone who could test for the blue-egg gene could develop further tests.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by