Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HaplessRunner, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    Anyone know why my Cochin Cream crosses have dots on their heads? The hens are a blue or black Cochin, Cream Roo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  2. Penny Hen

Penny Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Goodlettsville, TN
    Because the chick is going to be barred.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  3. Ashdoes

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    So that's for sure not indicating I have two males, right? I didn't think they'd be sexable, because of the Cochin, so it threw me when they had those clear dots even while wet.

4. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO

5. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    All chicks should be barred in that cross. Males will be single barred making them unreliable to sex by head spots. Had you used barred hens and a non barred rooster you would have sex links where only males would be barred.

6. Ashdoes

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    Ok, we'll mark them and take close pics of the heads, and see what happens. I plan for a few of these crosses, so tracking sexes is actually pretty smart. Thanks :)

7. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I love see all the different CL crosses! I hatched quite a few CL crosses from eggs that chiqita gave me last spring. She was pretty sure that her CL cock Orlando was the father to all of them. She hadn't separated her flock for breeding and had EEs, FBCM, CLs, BO. (Is that all, Shantih?) I kept the pullets here in town but the cockerels went to the ranch for some freedom before processing. The young boys were in with my friend's layer flock and my hens from my breeding groups (Langshan and SPPR). Before heading to freezer camp, they fertilized some eggs and I hatched some of them. So, I'm guessing that most of them are at least 1/4 CL with Orlando as their granddaddy. My friend has one Barred Rock in her layer flock and I think that she was this little pullet's mama. She looked exactly like a barred rock chick after hatching but grew to look like a BR/CL/ Marans? mix. What do you think?

[​IMG] CL mix is the black chick and the other chicks are Bresse and Pita PInta.

[​IMG] This is what she looks like at close to POL.

8. farmhand

farmhand Chillin' With My Peeps

I would be very curious about the color and production of the eggs.

9. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    So far, all the CL mixes that I have are laying blue eggs. Some have a slight green tint to them. I will report back once this pullet starts laying. [​IMG]

10. OHfarmerswife

OHfarmerswife Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Troy, OH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by