Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

You will have white chickens for SEVERAL generations.

X2 crossing the pullets back to their father would help produce some CL looking chicks, but you would have to fight those white genes and whatever they're covering for a long time! Autosexing should not be lost, even in the F1 generation.

Experiments are funny though. I crossed my CL roo to some white silkies and ended up with cream crele birds with muffs, black legs, 5 toes, and red walnut combs, and attitude!

I am using a legbar hen with a mixed color araucana rooster for another project and I realized that I made some over-seas style araucanas. They all have crests, some are rumpless and also tufted. I wonder if I could recreate the 'Chilean hen' that was used in the original legbars...

I am using a legbar hen with a mixed color araucana rooster for another project and I realized that I made some over-seas style araucanas. They all have crests, some are rumpless and also tufted. I wonder if I could recreate the 'Chilean hen' that was used in the original legbars...

That would be really cool :D

Hi All:

Here are two of my CCL over SG Dorking and BC Marans around 7 weeks...
Both have a bit of cresting and the dork has one leg with 5 toes and one with 4....go figure.....

I recently mixed my CL with my Buff Brahama roo and have quite a nice bunch of pullets. I am anxiously awaiting for them to start laying eggs and praying to the genetic gods for all blue!
I read the first 20 or so pages of this thread, but I dn't have time to read anymore as I have to get ready for work. But I have been thinking lately of trying to create a bearded, pea combed, Crested Cream Legbar. I absolutely love the creole color and pattern, but don't like big floppy combs. I also like big crests and beards. So I was originally thinking about having a flock of Ameracauna and Crested Cream Legbar. My reseaching is what brought me to this thread. As I was reading and looking at some of the pictures, I was thinking about throwing a Polish into the mix to enhance the crest. I love some of the patterns the Golden Laced Wyandotte and Cochin crosses made, so I was thinking maybe a GLPolish for the crest and golden lacing. That's about as far as I've gotten. This chicken genetics has me so confused. I used to breed Cockatiels and their genetics were to much easier to learn. They only had to deal with feather color, not combs or egg color.

So I'm wondering what color Ameracauna I should use. ( I would use EE, but the blood lines are so mixed up, I want to know exactly what I'm working with.) I like the golds and the reds, not so much the silvers. Feathered legs crossed my mind briefly, but I don't want to introduce brown egg gene into the mix.

Any thoughts or ideas here? I don't have any of these birds yet, but I was thinking of getting some hatching eggs of the breeds I'm going to use for this project.

BUFF BRAHAMA ROOSTER

Crested Cream Legbar hen (Greenfire farm line)

9 week old pullet (CCL x BB)

9 week old cockerel (CCL x BB)

These two little ones are from my first batch. I hatched out a second batch and the result was... 1 cockerel that looks almost identical to the one pictured here except he has a crest , the other two pullets; one looks entirely buff brahama and the other has CCL color but with feathered legs and a pea comb. I would also like to add that while CCL's are an "autosexing" breed, and the offspring are technically considered "sex linked" both boys did in fact have a spot on their head at hatch. The first had the classic white dot and the second had a black dot. Interesting little experiment !

Every single chick (up to 13 now) out of my Brahama roo has feathered legs. EVERY SINGLE ONE. He is the only boy and the chicks are out of BCM, CCL, Gold laced wyandotte, EE's, RIR & NHR

Last edited:
Quote: That buff pullet is so pretty!!! If they all are feathered, that would fit with the dominant nature of the gene. It looks like they feathering on the legs might be a little on the light side, so I will have to try to figure that out (unless it is just the images).

As I understand it, leg feathering is dominant for Pti-1 and Pti-2, unless they have the recessive leg feathering gene (pti-3). I think brahma are Pti-1B. That would be dominant and all should come out feathered legs. I am hoping someone who knows what they are doing with genetics can confirm this for me though, That would be so helpful for me to know since I have a brahma and a CCL rooster over my mixed flock and if I only hatch the CCL hen eggs if the chicks come out without feathered legs they would be pure ccl. I could also start working out which ones would be sex linked.

I really appreciate your reply and confirming what I suspected.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom