Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

I would love to have something like that!  Is she vaccinated?  I lost all my EE/Legbar pullet to Marek's last month.  :(   Not taking anymore chances.  

We never used to vaccinate when I was a kid but after losing 2 whole seasons of phoenix chicks to mareks, we started so yes, she is. If you want her, I'd just charge layer pullet price if you can make it over this way to get her. Her mother looks like a legbar in color/pattern but she has a small pea comb & beard/muff. This little chick lacks beard/muff. I would imagine that her sons would have smaller wattles as well because pea comb is generally linked to tiny wattles. Her fathers line is pure legbar from good blue eggs, her mother lays large round blue eggs.

It looks like my Legbar rooster was a fraud! LOL I crossed him with my speckled sussex to test egg color. One of the pullets just started to lay. The eggs are tinted - not any blue in them at all. They are exactly the same color as the mom's eggs. No doubt the pullet got a white egg gene from the rooster. Now I'm REALLY glad we culled him. Makes me wonder how "pure" our hens are since we got them at the same time. The seller told us the hens were not related to the rooster, but who knows.

Top two eggs are from the Speckled Sussex, smaller eggs are from the pullet. White egg in the center is for comparison.

Wondering about a Rhode Island Red Cock x Cream Legbar Hen, any insight?
Im thinking they would be barred roo chicks and the hens would lay greenish eggs?

Im thinking they would be barred roo chicks and the hens would lay greenish eggs?
Rhodebars are being sold in my area for nearly the same price as Legbars. I am told they have the sexlink offspring, F1, and produce brown eggs. They are a big fad here. I even bought a RIR pullet to play with the idea.

Last edited:
Solid over barred would make a sexlink. They should get one blue egg shell gene from the CL hens and brown from the RIRs. You would have nearly all of them laying mint green to olive green eggs.

The cockerels would be bigger than straight CLs, so you should be able to eat them too.

Lately I have been interested in Sicilian Buttercups (pure ones). But since I have a legbar cockerel... does anybody know what that cross would make?

If I knew the genotype of both breeds, I could plug them into the chicken calculator.

Some updated pictures from bielefelder roo x cream legbar hen. All the males have same color pattern. They don't look like either parent. All the females look like cream legbar hens. Some have good crests, some have small crests, and some no crest. I will be 1st to admit, not the best pictures. Pictures give you an idea of what is going on.

You can the crest on the closest pullet that is broadside.

1 of roos out of 2nd hatch.

Theroo closest is from 3rd hatch. He hasn't darkened up yet. The 1st hatch looked like that at his age. The roo furthest away is another 1 from 2nd hatch.

The roo from my 1st hatch didn't make it.

Curious, what did your Bielefelder roo x CL hens eggs look like?

Curious, what did your Bielefelder roo x CL hens eggs look like?
x2, What an interesting mix. When they started talking about Cream being very white with Legbars, I considered switching to Bielefelders. I love my blue eggs. I also like the size of the Bielefelder. I have one pullet chick, she is only a week old. Long story about why I have her. LOL.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom