Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Yes, the comb split the crest. Then you can see it continuing from the back of the comb, the darker feathers there.

I'm a genetic dummy! I have no problem owning up to it. What little I know, I learn from my results. I had several hens from that cross. The eggs varied anywhere from light blue to dark olive in color. Body wise there were 2 differences. 1st some had crests and others didn't. 2nd some had the white lobes and others didn't. I'm guessing the ones with the white lobes are laying the bluish eggs. The green to olive are coming from the others.

One facing camera has white lobes. The other 1 doesn't.

Strictly guessing, not that I have a clue, I would guess no to the brown eggs.

I took these 3 pictures this morning.

Yes, the comb split the crest. Then you can see it continuing from the back of the comb, the darker feathers there.

I'm a genetic dummy! I have no problem owning up to it. What little I know, I learn from my results. I had several hens from that cross. The eggs varied anywhere from light blue to dark olive in color. Body wise there were 2 differences. 1st some had crests and others didn't. 2nd some had the white lobes and others didn't. I'm guessing the ones with the white lobes are laying the bluish eggs. The green to olive are coming from the others.

One facing camera has white lobes. The other 1 doesn't.

Strictly guessing, not that I have a clue, I would guess no to the brown eggs.

I took these 3 pictures this morning.
Nice photos. My CL rooster that we purchased from another person has a bit of a crest then...or a rooster version of one. The poor guy got a serious case of frostbite on his comb before we purchased him. Here is a photo of him. He is a very nice boy:

Here is our Biele roo:

We are really starting to learn about genetics due to our saving a land race called the Iowa Blue. Very complicated genetics going on there for sure. Not sure if we can ever get it back to the way it used to be, but it's fun trying :)

This is a morbid question but how did the cross roosters taste?

The Biel x Cl roosters tasted great. Wasn't a lot there after dressing. They dressed out between 2 and 3 pounds. Young enough to get some meat off of them. Young enough they made great fryers.

Last edited:

The top two photos are of the same chick. The breeder said "she" is either a Bielefelder or 1/4 CL and 3/4 Ameraucana. She said the same for the second chick (third photo). I don't know if it was a 1/2 CL hen or rooster. Is the first chick a female? We have a couple living next door who are very elderly and in poor health. Though we both have acreage, their house was built as close to ours as is legally allowed and we don't want either of them to be bothered by noise. Would you say the second chick (third photo) is the Bielefelder? I would guess yes except her legs are dark green.

The top two photos are of the same chick. The breeder said "she" is either a Bielefelder or 1/4 CL and 3/4 Ameraucana. She said the same for the second chick (third photo). I don't know if it was a 1/2 CL hen or rooster. Is the first chick a female? We have a couple living next door who are very elderly and in poor health. Though we both have acreage, their house was built as close to ours as is legally allowed and we don't want either of them to be bothered by noise. Would you say the second chick (third photo) is the Bielefelder? I would guess yes except her legs are dark green.
Just judging by the coloring and the feather development at this point the first one looks to be female to me, but I am not an expert by any means. The darker body coloring of those chicks generally lends to being female too. If there is Ameraucana in them, the legs will be green for sure. Bielefelders and CL's have yellow legs.

Back
Top Bottom