Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

Wow, this thread got pushed back to the 2nd page in the listings already! I thought that I would let you know that I will be finding out what a White NN rooster over the 3 CCL hens are going to produce. I have 6 of those blue eggs from them in my incubator right now. I candled them and am starting to see life. They are due for hatching on Aug. 7th.

Does anyone know what you get when you cross a cream legbar roo with a barnevelder hen? Will this cross produce sex linked chicks?
No, but I crossed my Cream Legbar rooster with Silver Laced Orpington hens & got black chicks with gold foreheads & two head spots each except one chick had a tiny broken head spot & one chick had a huge grey head spot. All the double spots are female, the tiny spot & the huge head spot both have a big comb but feather sexed as female so I’m not sure. Of my Gold laced Orpington - Cream Legbar cross chicks both have big combs & one was pink at 5 weeks but both also feather sexed as female.

Of the five 6 week old chicks 4 are partially laced and partially barred, & one is black and grey laced, three are mostly barred and they have black heads & gold hackles and all have partial crests but the gold laced.

Of the 4 laced cross 4 week old chicks it looks like more lacing and less barring. I just replaced a broken phone & having issues with it too so no photos but I put some in that Great shape index post when they were younger.

The first pic is the 4.5 week old Cream Legbar/Silver Laced Orpington chicks, the two on the left, the one on the right is Hold Laced. The bottom two are 6.5 week old Silver Laced cross, they’ve all turned mostly barred but some have a bit of partial lacing.
And they all feather sexed as female & had gold heads that came from Legbar father yet two look like cockerels. The father had a big pink comb by 3 weeks & wattles at 4 weeks so I don’t know for sure. Also the Barred Rock cross male had a pink rose comb at 2.5 weeks. They’re all super sweet like their Moms.

0468BD7B-A37F-4F1F-B2B2-E58B025958F1.jpeg
53E2092F-2899-4003-8083-477D2420CE09.jpeg
90BDFBAA-4431-4D54-B8A9-D65AE8CFFEAE.jpeg

The Barred Rock/Cream Legbar cross chicks. Mom was hatchery Dominique cross with a rose comb. The one on the right, the other is a Silver Laced cross. These are also super sweet & tame though not as smart or predator savy as the Orpingtons. These chicks like to jump up on my hands & be cuddled, so do most of the Orps. They all come running when they see me, leaving moms in their dust. They’re an awesome hybrid.
Oops glitched & lost 2 pics. Will try again.

2FD62840-BFCD-40B6-B00D-4DAE6628CDE4.jpeg

That’s great! I’d love to see pictures when they hatch.

Are your Cream Legbar hens pets?im wondering if the breed is all sweet and intelligent. I only have a rooster I hatched from Papa’s Poultry in Redding & he was the sweetest angel & my loved pet until his hormones made him an ass but he still cuddles once I’m holding him & at bedtime he’s sweet. Seems to be calming now that mating season is over & he’s a year old. I still have to put him in time out for challenging me now & then but he’s an amazing protector & I love him.

He has a sing song hum after every crow as he draws his breath back in. I wonder if they all do that or if he’s just quirky. Anyone know?

The first 3 that I got was a breeding trio, and they were 3 weeks old. I really wasn't looking for a rooster, but he came for free. I only wanted the blue eggs that they would lay, because all of my other hens were laying light tan eggs so it would be easier to have those to eat. They screamed when you tried to pick them up, and the 2 hen's from that still do. I culled the rooster, but he did have a loud crow and crowed often. I had also bought a dozen blue hatching eggs from the same person. Only one pullet hatched out from those, so she was raised for 2 weeks by herself until my White Breese hatched, so she was much more friendly and didn't mind being held. I named her Miracle. I like Miss Fuffy the best though, because she has a more fuller crest on top of her head.

My White NN/White Breese mixed rooster crows sometimes, and the crow is not as loud or sharp. He moves out of my way when I go in there to feed, collect eggs, or to clean. He is the rooster in my avatar.

Back
Top Bottom