Cream Legbar Hybrid Thread

all Cream Legbars have crests of varying sizes
All Cream Legbars do not have crests. The crested gene is a dominant gene so only one copy is required for the crest to show up. When a rooster with one crested gene and a hen with one crested gene mate, there will be offspring that do not get the crested gene. I currently have a Cream Legbar rooster that does not have a crest.

All Cream Legbars do not have crests. The crested gene is a dominant gene so only one copy is required for the crest to show up. When a rooster with one crested gene and a hen with one crested gene mate, there will be offspring that do not get the crested gene. I currently have a Cream Legbar rooster that does not have a crest.

Oh oops I guess I misunderstood TAdkerson’s genotype post in the Cream Legbar thread that they are Cr/Cr - I thought that meant dominant and homozygous.

My Cream Legbar rooster has a too long road runner crest. :)

All of the Cream Legbar breeders I’ve talked to are of the opinion that they should have crests as the British standard calls for it.

Rose Comb Brown Leghorn/Legbar crosses

Sapphires (White Leghorn/Legbar cross)

Sapphire/Legbar cross
Are these all the same breed? The sapphire/leghorn? Or are they some of each. I just bought some chicks that are supposed to be legbar over leghorns. But the chicks are so different! 2 and black and barred with light dots and 2 are a yellow with light spotting similar but not quite the same as yours here. Are they the same birds? Does it let you know the gender as the legbar is auto sexing?

Are these all the same breed? The sapphire/leghorn? Or are they some of each. I just bought some chicks that are supposed to be legbar over leghorns. But the chicks are so different! 2 and black and barred with light dots and 2 are a yellow with light spotting similar but not quite the same as yours here. Are they the same birds? Does it let you know the gender as the legbar is auto sexing?
Each image has only what the wording above the image says. The first image is of chicks from Rose Comb Leghorn hens crossed with a Cream Legbar rooster. The second image is of Sapphires which are an F1 hybrid created by crossing White Leghorn hens with a Cream Legbar rooster. The third image are from Sapphire hens crossed with a Cream Legbar rooster.

It is very common for many of the Sapphires to have some random black spots. The Sapphires are not auto sexing. The Sapphire/Legbar cross did produce some but not all auto sexing chicks.

The Rose Comb Leghorn/Legbar crosses were not auto sexing but when they were crossed back with the Cream Legbar the next generation were all auto sexing.

Back
Top Bottom