Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection

Last edited:
Look at how big this CL egg is! Those are two large grade A store eggs next to it.

Yeah it is rather round and rather green. But the hen is good color and size.

very nice. Only one of my hens lays a big egg like that. Your lucky to have her. Id like some of her hatching eggs
I've got some in the incubator to see if they're fertile yet. She just started laying this winter late november or early December. It's been so cold that might reduce viability too. Can't wait to see if I get any chicks. If not ill try another set in a month or so when temps should be better. She's the most consistent layer too. If I only get one egg it's hers. Usually they each lay one though. I have to admit it isn't my favorite egg. I like a nice egg shaped bluer egg. Maybe we can trade if you get some with good color. :)

Took some wing pictures of Heathcliff today. I am trying not to get too excited about him because every time I get excited about a chicken, something happens to them....sigh.

Anyway, he still looks promising at almost six months old. Love his swept back crest with that little hint of red barring, his color and temperament. Not as thrilled about his tail set but hope to see improvement in his chicks out of the original GFF girls with better tail sets.

Forgive the picture quality; I was trying to hold him, hold his wings open and take pictures all at the same time. Really need three/four hands!

First a head shot. Comb has a little fold in front but is otherwise straight and well formed. Hope it gets a little bit bigger, but not too much.

Better picture to see full comb.

Wing lifted from body, as seen from front of bird. Front and shoulder show no gold/red. Some chestnut starting in the bow/bar area.

Same wing position but taken from overhead.

Primaries and secondaries. No gold/chestnut here either.

And with his gals.

And here is a link to a good site with and image listing parts of the wing if you don't have the SOP.

http://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2012/04/19/chick-sexing-techniques/

Last edited:
Took some wing pictures of Heathcliff today. I am trying not to get too excited about him because every time I get excited about a chicken, something happens to them....sigh.

Anyway, he still looks promising at almost six months old. Love his swept back crest with that little hint of red barring, his color and temperament. Not as thrilled about his tail set but hope to see improvement in his chicks out of the original GFF girls with better tail sets.

Forgive the picture quality; I was trying to hold him, hold his wings open and take pictures all at the same time. Really need three/four hands!

First a head shot. Comb has a little fold in front but is otherwise straight and well formed. Hope it gets a little bit bigger, but not too much.

Wing lifted from body, as seen from front of bird. Front and shoulder show no gold/red. Some chestnut starting in the bow/bar area.

And with his gals.

And here is a link to a good site with and image listing parts of the wing if you don't have the SOP.

http://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2012/04/19/chick-sexing-techniques/

He does look promising. What is your experience with yellow ear lobes versus the standard for white ear lobes? My best pullet's ear lobes tend to yellow rather than white and she meets the draft standard for color and type otherwise. The rest are of my birds have white ear lobes.

Love the style of that crest....

wow such a nice color this male has...

Back
Top Bottom