Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. ChicKat

ChicKat Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Actually I was impressed quite a lot with the pullet in their photo in the link. I like her.

2. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Did you notice on that site that there is a 15 chick minimum in the cold months. At $49 a chick plus shipping, that is a very expensive order.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  3. WHmarans

WHmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Idaho
    I'll sell day old females for $15. My birds have their issues. I sell culls POL or laying for $20. If I get something I really like I won't sell it so there's no price for good ones. People don't seem to really care if they're colored correctly most of the time but I try to tell them everything I know (to the best of my knowledge) about what I have for sale. I sell eggs for around $7.25 each. But it depends on how many eggs I have and how many I've sold and if the incubator is full (and if my fridge is full)... and how nice the chicks seem to be turning out, and how high the hatch rate has been...

male chicks.. well you've heard my theory for hatching females? I haven't hatched too many males. I did my best to make sure the hatch I'm expecting (hoping) in a couple of days will have males. Everyone seems to want female. I will try to figure out how to price male legbars if I have more than what I would like to raise to culling age... for me that has to be crowing age.

4. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    Cinnamon and dark males $5, light males $10

Mine sold so fast last year I never had them old enough to tell the colors apart, and now my flock is nearly all cream. I kept one big batch to raise out for myself and sold the POL gold pullets for $50 and kept the creams for myself. I have a lot of cities around me with hen-only ordinances so anything you can guarantee as female goes quick and high.

5. GaryDean26

GaryDean26 Chicken Czar

Dec 22, 2011
    McAlester, OK
    My Coop
    I am in the wrong place. I am an hour from any populations centers which is a long trip for people that just want to get a pullet or two. Others in Texas were sell pullets from all gold flocks for $20 each. I left my price at $25 and only sold chicks to a total of three people in 2013.

All the hatcheries have minimum quantities. Fifteen seems to be a very standard minimum, some require 20-25. Does anyone ship in quantities of less that 15 chicks? If so how do you shipments go?

6. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I'm very interested in your female hatch rate. If you don't mind expanding on the process I have a few questions as I would like to try it.
    To get the females, how many days to you let the hens be with the roos before separating to the ladies area.
    Once separated how may days of no rooster eggs do you not use for female hatches / or on what day after separation should I start collecting for female chicks?
    How many days do you keep the hens in the ladies area before sending them back to be with the roosters?

7. WHmarans

WHmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Idaho
    I've been hoping someone will try this and tell me what they get to find out if it is crazy superstition! I'll PM you so I don't take up too much space off topic.

8. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

9. Flaming Chicken

Flaming Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Redmond WA
    Quote:I have only sold in pairs and charged $50.00 a pair. I just sold my Gold POLs for $50.00 but they were GFF and that's what I paid for them. I see an add in my area for CLB hens for $60.00. I just reduced my flock to 2 boys and 5 cream hens. Hopefully I will get some nice correct colored hatchlings this year.

FYI, I bought 4 female and 3 male 2013 GFF chicks in August. 3 hens and 2 roosters are gold . I kept only a pair and sold the rest. The hen I kept is gorgeous. I will post pictures of her soon.

10. lonnyandrinda

lonnyandrinda Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2012
    Coweta, OK
    I allow as few as 6 in an order but I always send at least 10 (filler chicks for the heat). They get a 36 hour heat pack, a cup of gro gel, and some feed in the bedding. I've shipped as far as Alaska this way with no problems.

I'm confused "3 hens and 2 roosters are boys"? But I can't wait to see your pics of your hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by