Cream Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, May 21, 2011.

1. GaryDean26

GaryDean26 Chicken Czar

Dec 22, 2011
    McAlester, OK
    My Coop
    Good to know. The only shipments of chicks I have done were of 15+ on breeders swaps.

It think that Flaming Chicken meant to say GOLD and not BOYS. :)

2. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    I've stopped selling any of my Cream Legbars. Now, if they go at all, they go as EEs.

As I've mentioned several times and in several places, my original GFF stock (when they were $99 per pullet and $39 per cockerel as day olds) did not have crests. This was before the club was formed and we decided that the crest was required. One of those hens matured gold, the other cream and both are still here. The male was very colorful and ultimately culled because their offspring showed up without crests and with wry tails. It took a few test breedings to determine it came from the cockerel. In the end the 2 F1 wry tail boys were given away as "soup chickens" and the 1 F1 wry tail girl moved to the layer flock where she continues to give me nice blue eggs for eating. The two F1 pullets that did not have wry tails were sold at 10 weeks as non-crested, layer only, cream legbar pullets at $8 each to someone who just wanted the pretty blue eggs. And I started all over with crested stock.

I later ran into a woman at a local swap who was complaining about the horrible Legbars she had purchased for $35 each as chicks. Turns out the original "pretty egg only" buyer not only crossbred those girls but was selling the female offspring for $35 each as 'GFF Line' Cream Legbars from my farm!

So until the breed is more well established or the prices start to come down, I won't sell them at any price unless it is to someone I 'know' is working to improve the breed. All cull girls will stay here to provide eggs for my market customers.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  3. Flaming Chicken

Flaming Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Redmond WA

Just checking to see if you were reading the fine print:D. No really they were gold! Only 2 of 7 chicks were cream is what I meant to say.

4. Flaming Chicken

Flaming Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Redmond WA

Yup! It's been a long week. I did edit the original post.

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Flaming Chicken -

Me too, I'm looking forward to seeing your hen.

Laingcroft -

That is a worry when selling a cull - and then they say - "Oh, I got it from so-and-so" - and your original agreement with them was that it wasn't breeder bird. I understand your position entirely.

Thinking back on the remark about 'hatchery birds' from MyPetChicken - I shouldn't say this I suppose: but they (MPC) are the ones who supplied Martha Stewart with her CLs.....and I don't think Martha would have junk. Sometimes - CraigsList or eBay or hatchery can have good birds. MPC also sells Ameraucanas that are real from some breeder's line that they have an agreement with - or at least their got their originals there, and they know the difference to know that they aren't EEs...

We also know that all the Cream Legbars legally in the USA came from Greenfire - so even if we get substandard birds - (I got some over the summer this year) the person who told me that they were Greenfire birds was sort of kind of right...

Have a great weekend everyone.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  6. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    Where does everyone "advertise" their chicks?

7. OHfarmerswife

OHfarmerswife Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Troy, OH

I too would like to hear about your female hatch theory!

8. blackbirds13

blackbirds13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
    I sold a large number of pullets to a gentleman (Mr. R.) I have been doing business with for about 3 years and he has set up his website and CL ads to give himself and GFF all the credit for his flock -no mention of his local procurement of any of his birds. I had a customer on my Jubilees who knows the guy and said he did the same thing to him when he sold him his Pumpkin Hulsey flock. In fact the man who bought my birds (Mr. R.) had mentioned buying out a Hulsey flock but gave all the credit to GFF and not the breeder. It is a bit irritating to watch someone take all your hard work as their own but that is what happens once the birds leave your property. I did not sell my last few gold girls as I was indeed afraid someone would sell them as coming from me to others when I had sold them as 'pet quality'. Without telling me before she did it I did have one friend in the know email him regarding this and the cost of his chicks as they are astronomical. He has no photos of his birds on his ads or website also. He is selling his 2011-2013 (all GFF lines he states, even though I know for a fact he did not have birds that early) flock at $45 for chicks and $65 for 8 week pullets and $75 for his pure 2013 GFF line chicks and $99 for pullets. I intend to sell my birds for considerably less. I do not know if he has sold or pre-sold any as we no longer speak but I cannot imagine anyone around here paying that for birds sight unseen. I am thinking I may sell locally for a slightly lower price than shipped birds to help cover the costs of any replacements lost to the mail and the prices here are really depressed. Most folks will not pay a lot for any chicken no matter how rare or special. I even had issues with folks and the Jubilees last year. There are a few that will but there are so many folks now selling 'rare' birds I think the market here will be too limited and saturated for anything too exorbitant. A girl just a couple miles down the road could not sell Jubilee chicks for $25 each at the end of the season last year. I just want to be able to sell enough to help cover my feed costs and enable the culling I will have to do going forward. With 18 cream girls I will sell eggs on ebay once the time comes as I think I will have 'some' excess. I don't intend to sell males locally until later in the summer. I am not sure on my pen set up yet and the laying is slowly picking up but there a still a slew of pullets I've yet to see eggs from. I am waiting on the Marans to start laying before I make any changes so they are still separated into 2 pens by sex - male and female. I'm hoping to get away with this until Feb or March....

I tried the lower temp incubation for more females and that worked for a while but not consistently. Some say earlier spring hatches tend to be male oriented and that has and has not been true for me. I do not think there is a method that will work for anyone at all times. I am not a believer in being able to 'hatch' females.... it just does not make scientific sense to me. I am not a believer in old wives tales when it comes to the whole being able to predict or determine sex in humans or chickens. Especially as the mother of 4 boys ages 27. 26. 24 and 4. And a single 3 year old grandSON. If I had a dime for all the suggestions and predictions given to me over the years I'd be rich! My daughter in law has a condition that should have made it close to impossible for her to have a live birth son but he's here, alive and full of life, the miracle that he is.
    I really don't mind hatching the males at all since I am always on the look out for the 'perfect' breeder. I just really have to make sure I cull in a serious manner and not hold onto anything for sentimental reasons that I cannot use for breeding forward.
    I have 2 boys that are on the cull list for tomorrow I think. Weather permitting.

9. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    What bothers me is that the birds were CROSSES being sold as pure Legbar that came from GFF through me. I only sold two pullets, no cockerels and as far as I know there were no other local owners of CL, much less breeders at that time. The two pullets were sold in November, 2012.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  10. blackbirds13

blackbirds13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
    Quote: That is horrible indeed. I have had customers who have said they got birds from other customers I've had so I understand how local chicken business is a small, small world. I sold my gold pullets as non-standard at first but then worried that it may come back to bite me so stopped and gave them to a friend who is using them for EEs. I am not sure what to do about someone messing up the breed and giving another credit for it just as I am for someone taking credit for the work of others. But I'm going to do as you are with my gold girls, of which I have 4, and keep them here. I have a couple cream girls that I am thinking of not using in my cream pen but will put into my white sport pen come spring instead as I'm not prepared to sell layers until late summer/early fall but I cannot afford to keep all my unwanted birds or cull them for the freezer. I only have so much room in both. I may sell anything I'm wary of as an Easter Egger or Mixed Breed Layer. I don't think you can really control anything someone wants to claim about any bird they buy from you.... or not claim....it is sad that the world of chicken keepers is just as filled with dishonesty as any other part of society unfortunately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by