Crested Cream Legbar Cross

chayes04

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2023
I think I’ve got a couple Crested Cream Leg bar (hen) x Silkie (rooster) cross chicks

I was reading that CCL can be auto-sexed based on coloring. Would that hold true in a crossbred chicken?

I added pics of each chick at about 4 weeks

Attachments

• F4B2934D-033A-4E82-994B-4E88BF1DA7CF.jpeg
    F4B2934D-033A-4E82-994B-4E88BF1DA7CF.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 229
  • B8EDCF56-0FD3-4D58-AF7F-B4D4C2EA84E0.jpeg
    B8EDCF56-0FD3-4D58-AF7F-B4D4C2EA84E0.jpeg
    466.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 74F19D15-5BD9-4C1F-B4D5-296E85BDA602.png
    74F19D15-5BD9-4C1F-B4D5-296E85BDA602.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
The chicks will be sex linked, not autosexed since they are crosses. Any non-barred male other than white crossed over a barred female will produce sex links. Male chicks will be barred and will have head spots, which may be difficult to see due to mixed coloring. Females will not be barred and will have no head spots. I believe both of your chicks are females.

For cl auto sexing to work, the birds must be purebred.
got it!
The chicks will be sex linked, not autosexed since they are crosses. Any non-barred male other than white crossed over a barred female will produce sex links. Male chicks will be barred and will have head spots, which may be difficult to see due to mixed coloring. Females will not be barred and will have no head spots. I believe both of your chicks are females.
by head spots, do you mean the light/ white?

And you said any non-barred male other than white—> one of our boys is a white Silkie. Does that matter?

And you said any non-barred male other than white—> one of our boys is a white Silkie. Does that matter?
It does. The barring is going to be what distinguishes the sexes. If you have a white male, the male chicks will still have two copies of the barring gene, but they will be white - which means you won't be able to see the barring.

by head spots, do you mean the light/ white

It will be a white colored spot on the top their head - usually about the size of a dime.

Google "barred rock chicks" and you'll see a noticeable spot on the tops of their heads.

It does. The barring is going to be what distinguishes the sexes. If you have a white male, the male chicks will still have two copies of the barring gene, but they will be white - which means you won't be able to see the barring.

It will be a white colored spot on the top their head - usually about the size of a dime.

Google "barred rock chicks" and you'll see a noticeable spot on the tops of their heads.
Ah okay, I see the large white spots on the male chicks. So because our rooster is white, male chicks would be white as well?

Back
Top Bottom