Crested

flossyfelix

Songster
Nov 10, 2016
Lumberton, North Carolina
My female is a crested pekin. I'm assuming because of them breeding my male has been holding on to her by her crest feathers & they are all almost gone. She doesn't even look like a Crested duck anymore! Will those feathers grow back?? Like any other feathers would??

My female is a crested pekin. I'm assuming because of them breeding my male has been holding on to her by her crest feathers & they are all almost gone. She doesn't even look like a Crested duck anymore! Will those feathers grow back?? Like any other feathers would??
That is only fatty tissue under the crest of feathers. How does the skin look? There is no skill under the tissue. So you want to keep an eye out for injury. Drakes do hold onto feathers when mating but I'd be worried he may get into her skin if the feathers are about gone. You may have to give her a break from him. The feathers will probably grow back but it maybe after molting Not sure on that.

That is only fatty tissue under the crest of feathers. How does the skin look? There is no skill under the tissue. So you want to keep an eye out for injury. Drakes do hold onto feathers when mating but I'd be worried he may get into her skin if the feathers are about gone.  You may have to give her a break from him.  The feathers will probably grow back but it maybe after molting  Not sure on that.

Oh, well maybe she just had a cowlick then...her head doesn't have a lump or anything. She just had a puff of feathers on her head. She doesn't have a bald spot of anything her puff is just gone. Her head is just smooth like you would usually see on a Pekin now. She must not be crested, I didn't realize they actual had a lump... like I said hers is just a puff of feathers!

@Miss Lydia

Her she is with her puff!

Things that make you say hmmm?.. Flossy definitely doesn't have a lump on her head. Just the puff of feathers & now that Felix had pulled some of them out, she just looks normal. That's weird!

Things that make you say hmmm?.. Flossy definitely doesn't have a lump on her head. Just the puff of feathers & now that Felix had pulled some of them out, she just looks normal. That's weird!
The crested gene is more of a spectrum when it comes to expression. Her fatty tissue build up may appear undetectable to the naked eye. She's still quite pretty! Her crest should still grow back fine but I second that you should watch the Drake carefully with her. He can seriously injure her with the crest area being exposed now.

Back
Top Bottom